.500 drill rod

skeetlee

Would a 12" piece of .500 ground drill rod be ok to use to dial in an action with a set of bushings of course. I'm buying some more tooling and the rod that manson makes to dial in actions is rather pricy. I think I'll try his tapered bushings but I'd like to source the rod another way. Looking on ebay I can buy a 12" piece of drill rod .500 for 15 bucks.
I considered buying mansions raceway reamer and just using that to dial in with, but for now I really don't need the tool. Maybe down the road a bit I will?
On another note, anyone have any video or links for setting up a single point threading tool inside an action. I've been playing and practicing for some time now and I've come to the conclusion my kennametal threading tool is just to big. I can't see around the dam thing to know when I'm set properly. When I loosen everything up and feel my way in I'm doing ok chasing the thread on my practice pieces. I've considered just using the tap method for the threads and single pointing everything else, but like my good buddy said. If you want to hang with the big boys single point the threads. I have the ability for sure I just need a little guidance. Lee

Typed this on my phone hope the typos are a minimum.

Sure, that will work fine

you can get precision ground rod that the straightness is spec'd out. I just drill and tap a 8 X 32 hole in the end and hang it up to keep it that way.

Richard Brensing

Richard
where might I purchase something like that? thanks Lee

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/coldfin2.phtml?page=cdround

C1045 Precision Round, is a medium carbon steel round that has been ground and polished to a high degree of concentricity, surface perfection, straightness, and overall accuracy. Use C1045 Precision Round when a higher degree of added strength, dimensional accuracy and straightness are required. Typical Diameter Tolerance = plus 0" / minus .001"

◦Specifications: ASTM A108
◦AKA: TGP Round, Precision Shafting, 1045 Shaft
◦Applications: axels, shafts, pins, axels, dowels, bolts, gears, slides, etc.
◦Workability: Difficult to Weld, Moderate Cutting and Machining
◦Mechanical Properties: Brinell = 223, Tensile = 100,000 +/-, Yield = 85,000 +/-
◦How is it Measured? Diameter (A) X Length
◦Available Stock Sizes: 2ft, 4ft, 6ft, 8ft, 12ft, 24ft or Cut to Size

$14.00 for 2'

McMaster-Carr

has "tight Tolerance" rods. I'm sure there are other places, but it is a good place to look at. Another option is to have one cylinder ground from carbide. Superior tool in wichita,ks can do this. They have made alot of tooling for me and have been happy with the results.

Richard

Lee
I have several dull broken down taps laying in a drawer if you would like one. For a small nominal fee of course.

.001" or .0001" ?

Thomson linear bearing rod is straight to .001" per foot. It's case hardened so you can still tap the ends, or cut through the case with carbide tooling and then tap the core if need be. And diameters are tightly controlled. It's fairly inexpensive as well for small pieces.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#linear-shafts/=z9283p

I would think .001" for a rod to use when indicating would be a bit coarse? No?

Pete

I found some hardened ground Thompson bars that have really tight tolerance. I guess the issue is that I really don't know what the inside diameter of the manson taper bushings. Looks like I'll just have to purchase everything from Dave manson. Lee

I would think .001" for a rod to use when indicating would be a bit coarse? No?

Pete

That is their allowable tolerance over a foot, it may be better. How long is your receiver between the front and rear bridge? How much clearance do you allow for between the bolt body and receiver bore? That rod should be plenty straight enough for dialing in a receiver bore.

I found some hardened ground Thompson bars that have really tight tolerance. I guess the issue is that I really don't know what the inside diameter of the manson taper bushings. Looks like I'll just have to purchase everything from Dave manson. Lee

Call him and ask. He won't bite your head off.
I get .4995" on all my dull taps. You can adjust the ID of the bushing by how tight they are in the action.

Back