40x rimfire bolt cleaning.

TrxR

I'm going to be pulling the firing pin assembly out of my 40x rimfire to do a good cleaning. I was thinking about using some non chlorinated break clean to spray it down and wipe it off.

Is this a bad idea?

Also should I lube the pin and spring with anything before reinstall?

Thanks

I was thinking about using some non chlorinated break clean to spray it down and wipe it off.

Is this a bad idea?
AHHHHHH! Breaking your bolt while cleaning it is a bad idea!!!!! :D

(KIDDING!)

The correct spelling is "Brake Cleaner".

I do not see a problem with your process, it is the same as using an aerosol gun cleaner for the same purpose. Just make sure to use a light coating of a light oil (or a silicon oil) afterwards to prevent rust, as aerosol cleaners are really effective at removing oils.

Hope this helps.

AHHHHHH! Breaking your bolt while cleaning it is a bad idea!!!!! :D

(KIDDING!)

The correct spelling is "Brake Cleaner".

I do not see a problem with your process, it is the same as using an aerosol gun cleaner for the same purpose. Just make sure to use a light coating of a light oil (or a silicon oil) afterwards to prevent rust, as aerosol cleaners are really effective at removing oils.

Hope this helps.

I've got some Hoppes gun oil here and some Eezox but wasn't sure if I should put anything on the firing pin or spring. Concerned about it gumming up.

I've got some Hoppes gun oil here and some Eezox but wasn't sure if I should put anything on the firing pin or spring. Concerned about it gumming up.

Ok dry but if anything wipe pin/spring down with a patch with couple drops of oil, no grease except on cocking cam & lugs.

Sonic Bath

I clean all my Bolts in a Sonic Cleaner. Only oil the exterior and the Lugs. No oil inside the bolt.

Back