G

Greg Fowl

Any body out there tried IMR 4007 SSC in any caliber? Thanks for any replies. V/R Greg

I like it in my 7-08 with 120-140 gr bullets. Strickly a hunting rig but sub MOA and very good velocity with these components..
Have not tried it in any other cartridges.

I have had very good luck with IMR4007SSC in my 22-250AI using 69 SMK and 75 AMaxs. Also looked promising in my 6mm Rem AI with 95 Berger VLDs. Only shoot a couple of ladders with 6AI. tiny

I have tried it in a 243 wssm, a 30-06, several 300 wsms, and a 270 wsm.

It has worked well in all, and was the best in several. Top speeds for a stick powder in the 300 wsm's and the 06 never had more than 10 feet per second of deviation with any charge!

Probably the most noteworthy powder introduced in 5 years.

Any body out there tried IMR 4007 SSC in any caliber? Thanks for any replies. V/R Greg

While shooting my 6MM DASHER, to a second place finish during the IBS registered IA State HV [group] Championship this past summer, the combination of 121 GR. FB Bullets (that's right - 121 Gr. FB 6MM Bullets!:eek:), CCI-BR4s and a case FULL of IMR-4007 held up rather well against the PPCs: 2nd at 100 (one of only two Aggs, "in the twos"); third at 200 (one of only two to keep all five groups under 1.00"); 2nd in the Grand. Yes, conditions were testy - the Aggs looked like a "throw-back" to 20 years ago! :eek:;) Though several regionally /nationally notable competitors were present, I'll spare the names of the hapless users of pipsqueak bullets . . . well, with these exceptions: Jim Carstensen won the Grand and reigning NBRSA HV National Champion, my long suffering pal, Terry Meyer, was among the humiliated. :p:D Oh, the powder worked pretty well, delivering an honest 2800 + FPS @ 15' from the muzzle, via the 22.5" Borughton C5 (1:8.5" twist) barrel. :eek::D RG

I have had very good luck with IMR4007SSC in my 22-250AI using 69 SMK and 75 AMaxs. Also looked promising in my 6mm Rem AI with 95 Berger VLDs. Only shoot a couple of ladders with 6AI. tiny

Got any more info on the 6mm AI loads. I am really interested in how that combo worked for you?

I got some this summer to try in my 700 Classic in .250-3000 with 120 gr bullets, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Hate to rush into stuff. Sounds like it might be the powder for this combination.

Tried 4007 in my 7/08 heavy barrel with 140gr Nosler Bts and velocity over my Oehler 35P was down compared to what Hodgdons had listed, even at a grain over I didn't hit their listed velocity. Maybe it's just my rifle.

Tom

I have always

Tried 4007 in my 7/08 heavy barrel with 140gr Nosler Bts and velocity over my Oehler 35P was down compared to what Hodgdons had listed, even at a grain over I didn't hit their listed velocity. Maybe it's just my rifle.

Tom

Seem to find this to be the case with data published by manufacturers. How do they achieve bigger numbers than we do?

Tom

My rifle showed velocities to be quite close concidering as noted the lab used min spec test barrels. I`ve seen 100 fps difference in velocity just by changing the powder lot or temprature of the ammo with some loads.

I drove the 120 gr Nosler BT 3041 fps for 10 rds with 49 gr and a Rem 9.5 primer. a 120 gr Sierra SP with the same charge & primer went 3006 fps for 20 rds Hodgdon says 3118 fps for the Nosler.

The 140 gr Nosler BT clocked 2786 fps and the 140 gr Sierra SP went 2777 fps with 46 gr IMR4007sc and Remington 9.5 primers for 10 rds each. Hodgdon found 2847 fps with 140 gr Speer sp`s.

All velocities were at 12 ft from a Pact M1, and pressures were slightly below Remington factory 120 gr Core-Loct loads, according to a Pressure Trace at temps from 66-73 F degrees. Accuracy was </= MOA with all loads. Velocity in MY rifle was better then I see with Varget at equal psi and accuracy is as good or better.
The rifle is a M700 with a LW SS 24" barrel....YMMV

Back