40 degree Ackleys and magazine feeding

Mike A

How do the 308 based Ackleys , eg 243, 260 708 - 40 degree Ackley with minimal body taper feed from an un modified Remington 700 action?
Also how do they do out of the various DBM setups with AI type magazines?

I'm no expert but I've built 6 rifles and modified two dozen or so of the AI mag setups in bolt actioned rifles and, while I detest them personally I must say that they are easy to make work. Even min/taper and sharp shouldered cases, no problem in my limited experience. I've played with Surgeon, Seekins, Precision and Badger setups and they are all very functional.

Thanks for the reply Al.
I have a 22/250 AI which is built on a short action push feed M70 that is pretty fussy on how you stroke the bolt with the factory magazine setup, and they don't stack well at all in AI mags, so I doubt they would feed.

I have a shot out 708 model 700 that I want to re barrel to 260 AI, and will most likely just use the BDL setup, any further input on how they feed would be appreciated.

Sorry Al, I don't want to use them for the 22/250, I was just using that as an example.
I was more interested in peoples results with a 243/260 Improved in the factory Rem 700 BDL mags.
And as an aside we call them things folding pliers :)

Sorry, I just reread the op....so, "I don't think you'd have any issues with the AI style stuff." (except that it's rattly, clunky, ugly and hangs down right where you want to grab) and "I dunno about the factory mag stuff, sorry."

Thanks, I will soon see, reamer is in the air.
I went for the 40 degree Ackley with a .060" free bore as I generally like to use lighter bullets.

Back