34 pounds of 1960 Benchrest Rifle

I’m glad to get the info on that super cool rifle.
Internet researching is a pastime, it’s like a puzzle.

Here’s my Wasp in a shrine I made for it. Yeah I’m ok as long as I take my ….

Nut.
One of the first guys I went varmint shooting with had one of those scopes. I had no idea they would become collector Items. This was late sixty something.
Who made the trigger?

Mort

Nut.
One of the first guys I went varmint shooting with had one of those scopes. I had no idea they would become collector Items. This was late sixty something.
Who made the trigger?

Mort

That Unertl is a 20X , 3/4” tube, adjustable head. The glass is very good.

The trigger is a simple double set trigger. I don’t know who made it, it is set at about 4oz - very shootable.

Nut
Thanks for all the info...great read. I qualified with a Garand and one of our instructors at the time said the 03A3 was more accurate. I have a 03 and my grandsons love to shoot it.
Thanks again.

Mort

Nut, Butch and any

I also have a model 37 that I bought brand new in 1957. ( I was 15 years old)
Came with Redfirld Olympic sights and cost a whopping $114.00! paid for with my paper route earnings.

About all that is M37 now is the action. It has a McMillan barrel, Kenyon trigger, thumb hole free rifle stock, Redfield International sights + a Unert. 20x Scope.
Shot mostly 4 position indoor gallery with it. It is a better shooting rifle than I am a marksman. Have not shot it in years.

FWIW

Steve Kostanich

Came with Redfirld Olympic sights and cost a whopping $114.00! paid for with my paper route earnings.

About all that is M37 now is the action. It has a McMillan barrel, Kenyon trigger, thumb hole free rifle stock, Redfield International sights + a Unert. 20x Scope.
Shot mostly 4 position indoor gallery with it. It is a better shooting rifle than I am a marksman. Have not shot it in years.

FWIW

Steve Kostanich

That’s a cool story. Sounds like a rifle you should dig out and take to the range.

FWIW

Steve Kostanich

Nice story Steve. I had 3 Johnson 5 star barrels, 2 for the mod 37 and one for the Morgan. Karl Kenyon's son sent them to me when cleaning out his shop. I only have one now that was cut off and rechambered. I sure collect a lot of old stuff.

1911 Nut & Steve K. - thank you both - GREAT read!! I was blessed with many instructional calls from [the late] Allen Bench - his constructive criticism was treasure! His shared knowledge golden. :D RG

History found!

Looking for results of the Sniper King matches I came across this, Rod Janson was Sniper King in 1959 and 1960. And Steve Kostanich was Sniper King THREE Times! The last in 2016. Wow! Pretty nice shootin Steve!

Odds are better that 37 Rangemaster’s rifle won the 1960 match.

I was able to track down the man who bought this rifle from the person who handled the estate is came from. It was verified to have come from Rod Janson's estate and was sold as a championship winning rifle to him. They just didn't know anything about the event that it won. So the investigations by other's and me have come to a close. Thank you all for your time and information.
Mark Sr

Back