338 LM magazine

The CIP is the longest length magazine that I've used on .338 Lapuas. Maybe Dave Tooley will join in as he's probably built more .338 Lapuas than just about anyone.

Hi Mike

I observed that even using a CIP-sized magazine, 300-grains projectiles are heavily inserted into the case, occupying powder space and that the projectile base is beyond the neck / shoulder junction. If there were a longer magazine, it would leave the projectile base above Of the junction.

There are some proprietary mags out there that are longer but no bottom metal or actions that will accept them for the general public.

There are some proprietary mags out there that are longer but no bottom metal or actions that will accept them for the general public.

Thank you Dave

With a milling machine, is possible open the DBM a little bit and adapt one longer magazine? If they aren´t available(magazine), maybe cut the front or back side and some welding work?

The longer mags require longer actions. The AI double stack mag requires a longer action, and to get the width required a wide flat bottom to mate up. You can increase the mag cut out by going to the rear safely but not moving it forward. On most conventional bolt guns you'll be reducing the shear strength of the bottom lug.

Dave, thank you for your feedback

I know that Barnard PLM action have larger diameter, compared with Stiller TAC338. But as I never seen one, dont sure if is possible do these modifications.

On my Stiller, looking at the DBM, seens that I can cut a little in the back, decrease the bolt stop lenght, allowing the bolt retreat at least 0.150" to 0.200" more. In the front, maybe cut not more than 0,050" in the feed ramp. Do you think I wi'll be reducing the shear strength of the bottom lug removing this small portion?

Just thinking about some possibilities, I did not make the decision to actually do it.

Back