30x47 cartridge

harley54dude

I would like to find more information about this cartridge because I may be purchasing it from a gentleman very soon. I will not be using it in competition probably. Its main use will be just informal paper shooting. I enjoy different cartridges, and this one seems to be like that. I may even use it for an occasional woodchuck also. But I mainly just want it to see just how accurate I can be. I just sold a 6mmPPC not long ago and I loved shooting this baby. I am just wondering if I should just stick to the 6PPC because I know more about it, or go with something like this with probably a lot more recoil.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all

30 X 47 Variations

The 30 X 47 is the most used caliber for NBRSA hunter competition. It has been around for a long time. When you choose this caliber one must first decide what bullets and brass will be used. At one time 130-150 grain bullets were the bullets of choice. These required a .09-.12" freebore chamber to accommodate the 1.080 or 1.150" long bullet jackets that these weight bullets were made from. The hunter case of today has more bullets in the 110-125 grain range made from .935 or 1.000" jackets. The freebore in these chambers is .000-.040" This feature in the chambers must be matched to the bullets being shot. If not, my past experience has shown that best accuracy cannot be achieved. The other factor is what brand of brass is the chambering reamer set up for. All my currently used match reamers are set up for Lapua brass. Older versions used either 300 Savage or 308 Winchester brass from the major manufactures. The older versions are generally smaller in the case web area and do not do well with the larger Lapua case.

One other variation that shows up is the shoulder angle. Most use a 30 degree shoulder, but both of my match reamers are 35 degree. When purchasing dies, this all needs to be considered. The best match is to have the gunsmith not only chamber the barrel, but also make the sizing die with a properly proportioned resize reamer.

The 30 X 47 is an exceptionally accurate round, but careful attention to the details is a must. When you are choosing this case is the time to focus on these details. Good luck with your choice.

Randy

One other variation that shows up is the shoulder angle. Most use a 30 degree shoulder, but both of my match reamers are 35 degree. When purchasing dies, this all needs to be considered. The best match is to have the gunsmith not only chamber the barrel, but also make the sizing die with a properly proportioned resize reamer.

The 30 X 47 is an exceptionally accurate round, but careful attention to the details is a must. When you are choosing this case is the time to focus on these details. Good luck with your choice.

Randy
One thing to remember is that while the 30x47 has been around a long time, most newcomers are thinking of the quite new 6.5x47 Lapua cartridge just necked up to .308. You start with a different case, and usually the shoulder angle of the Lapua chambering is retained -- as is the small primer. Load data should be similar, but some people have has issues with the small primers, while others argue long & loud that the small primer is perfect.

Worse problem with saying "6x47" -- which in the old days was a .222 Remington Magnum necked up to 6mm, but today is often the 6.5x47 Lapua case necked down. Those two are real different.

I own two rifles chambered in 30x47L and like them very much. In spite of this statement I am not sure this rifle will be a good decision for you.
To start with you need to know what 30x47 it is, as Charles said the more recent and in my mind more desirable variant is the 30x47L based on the Lapua case.You also need to know the twist rate of the barrel which determines what bullets the rifle will shoot. Custom 112-135 gr 30 Cal bullets are harder to come by and more expensive than 6mm projectiles. Dies are a little harder to come by than 6-PPC dies but they are available (Harrels does the 30x47L sizer although they do not advertise it). If you like a different cartridge than a PPC and do not mind increasing your per shot cost around 50% each time you pull the trigger go for it. it is a fun cartridge.
Dick

i wouldnt choose the 30x47Lapua as my only or main accurate rifle. While i do think the 30x47Lapua is a fine, and very accurate shooting chambering, i just dont see you wanting to shoot it primarily. 30cal Bullets are exspensive, and a little hard to come by at the moment. The recoil as mentioned above is also something else to think about.
I love the 6ppc. i compare everything to it, and as you can emagine, most everything falls short. Lee

Back