30br vs 6ppc?

I don't know about Jim

to use heavy bullets? Jim Goody had a run with his Jag, which is a long cased 30 and Bill Sargent use to shoot a 30-47 I believe. I have never seen what could be gained unless it's to shoot heavier bullets fast.

Pete

but Bill's was a Goodling 30x47 with enough freebore that he shot 10X either 125 or 127gr(can't remember) bullets made with 1.080" jackets. They were sleek, 9 or 10 ogive.

to use heavy bullets? Jim Goody had a run with his Jag, which is a long cased 30 and Bill Sargent use to shoot a 30-47 I believe. I have never seen what could be gained unless it's to shoot heavier bullets fast.

Pete
The real reason that I had my Jag 2 built was to prove someone wrong. A friend of mine had one built and it never shot worth a sht for him. I thought that I could make it work which I did, plus I like the extra recoil that it has over the 30BR. I've shot 4 different brand and weight bullets in it. It's a 16TW with 66 Thousands freebore. So far the 112 Barts have shot the best and I'm not pushing it hard. It's only going 3225 FPS. I can fit another 2 grains in the case if I wanted to but it shoots ok with what I'm running. I'm going to try some 125 Bib bullets when this snow disappears which should be sometime in May. Jim Goody's Jag which Ron Morse chambered is a 30x47 variant with a radiused shoulder but when Goody was shooting it he was making his cases from 308 brass because the 6.5x47 Lapua brass wasn't available at the time.

Last edited:
Here's what happened...

Maybe I will put one of my spare Nighforce BR scopes on my .45-70 :cool:

One of the members of our club did just that. The only problem was his .45-70 shot two inch groups. A couple did hit the ten ring though.

As I recall

The real reason that I had my Jag 2 built was to prove someone wrong. A friend of mine had one built and it never shot worth a sht for him. I thought that I could make it work which I did, plus I like the extra recoil that it has over the 30BR. I've shot 4 different brand and weight bullets in it. It's a 16TW with 66 Thousands freebore. So far the 112 Barts have shot the best and I'm not pushing it hard. It's only going 3225 FPS. I can fit another 2 grains in the case if I wanted to but it shoots ok with what I'm running. I'm going to try some 125 Bib bullets when this snow disappears which should be sometime in May. Jim Goody's Jag which Ron Morse chambered is a 30x47 variant with a radiused shoulder but when Goody was shooting it he was making his cases from 308 brass because the 6.5x47 Lapua brass wasn't available at the time.

Randy Perkowski use to shoot 135G bullets as fast as he could shoot them in a 30-47 ish case. I never have been a fan of recoil so I saw no joy in going there but my thinking would be for someone who can handle recoil is shoot heavy +LONG bullets fast particularly for 300 Yds. / Meters.

I got to where I came to believe, no matter what I did, I couldn't beat a proper windflag read, not even with speed or bullet weight.

Randy called me the other day. He's selling off his shot equipment if anyone is interested. He's hanging in.

Pete

Back