30BR Loads

D

Donald

Just got my first 30Br put together. Not much time before the first match at Denton. Am looking for a shortcut to load development. Barrel is a Brux cut rifled 17 twist HV. Right now I have 300 Berger 115 grain bullets and about 3# of H4198. Neck is .334 with .030 freebore. Any suggestions as to a load that should shoot good. Have some 110 VMax that I will firefore with. Any thoughts welcomed and taken with a grain of salt. What are you finding that shoots good. I tend to not like to shoot the really high pressure loads.

Thanks,....Donald

Thanks Art,
Yes I have read that article at least a half dozen times. Very good info. I guess I will try something based on those loads. Anything else welcomed.

Donald

Try this thread

Just got my first 30Br put together. Not much time before the first match at Denton. Am looking for a shortcut to load development. Barrel is a Brux cut rifled 17 twist HV. Right now I have 300 Berger 115 grain bullets and about 3# of H4198. Neck is .334 with .030 freebore. Any suggestions as to a load that should shoot good. Have some 110 VMax that I will firefore with. Any thoughts welcomed and taken with a grain of salt. What are you finding that shoots good. I tend to not like to shoot the really high pressure loads.

Thanks,....Donald

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60590&highlight=30br+test

Hope this helps......v

Donald, here's what I recommend to get started:
- Set up the seating stem to 'jam' .025
- A neck bushing .004 smaller than the neck measures over the pressure ring
- Neck clearance of .002 (minimum)
- Fed 205M primers
- H4198 starting at 32.5 and going up in .5 gr. increments.

If your chamber is the 1.520 length chamber, cut the cases to 1.500. With a .334 chamber neck, you'll have way more than .002 clearance with even the lightest cut on the necks. That's okay, they shoot just fine with a lot of neck clearance. Just make sure the 'lump' at the bottom of the case neck is completely removed...the 'lump' will normally measure about .335 after you neck the cases up, depending on the mandrel you use.

Set up this way, you'll find several accurate nodes from 32.5 on up to where you can't get any more 4198 in the case.

Just my approach to it...... -Al

I had excellent results with 36gr H322 or 36gr of Benchmark with Fowler 115gr or BIB 118gr bullets.

Just had my new 30br out today for the third firing, and found that it would shoot 33.5gr H4198 up to 34.7gr into nice little .2's. This was at .010 jam seat. I tried the .025 in mine and it just wouldn't put them where I wanted them to go as consistently as the .010. My father's 30br likes the 0.025 jam and a 34.2gr load of the H4198. We have also messed around with Rel7, but nothing seemed to be as consistent and forgiving as the H4198.
I have a Bartlein 4 groove 1:18.75 to 18"twist on mine and my father's is a 1:17" kostyshyn.

It's a great cartridge, and I am sure you will enjoy it.
Mike

30BR loads

Donald I agree with Al, I use H-4198 most the time-33.8 gr to 34.5 gr. I mostly stay on the lower end though that keeps the velocity 2950-3000fps I realize that a lot want that 3000 plus but that does not bother me. What I am looking for is what the gun will do on paper, that is the deciding factor for me. The barrel will tell you what it likes, thats the bottom line, can not feed it what it doesn`t like. As to seating depths .004-.010 shoots well in most my guns, again not saying the heavy jam will not shoot because they will. the primer I use 205M- the bullet, lots of good ones out there but I have been using BIB 118-10 and 118-7 seem to shoot well in all my guns. I`am just an old country southern boy that likes to shoot and have been very lucky to hang around some very smart people that have helped me a lot. I have found that the bench rest crowd will go out of their way to help some one in this sport. Good luck and Good shooting !!!

HUMBLE HENRY

PS-you will enjoy your 30BR

Thanks to all for the load info. I have had the 30BR out only one time so far. Rain, Rain, snow, ice, mud, mud, etc,. And this is Oklahoma. Our range in down in a canyon next to a lake. Dries out very slowly. But I love the 30. I got a Past Recoil pad as I am 74, with arther-ritis. Am going to shoot Military Bolt Action this year and have a nice Swiss K31 in 7.5x55. Man o man if I could just see better.......have to use open sights. This sucker will shoot and made like a Swiss watch. I take it with me and shoot it about 20 times. 9.5# with a 168 grain bullet at about 2650. Gets you ready for the 30BR. It seems like a pussy cat after the 7.5. Still fireforming cases but looks like it is going to shoot. Can't believe how clean the barrel stays with H4198. Heck I may just give up my 6ppc's except for LV. Right now just shooting 110 VMax but they do pretty good, not competiitve but better than I thought. Cheapest bullet I could find to fireform. Can't wait till I get some good bullets. You hear, Jon.

Donald

Last edited by a moderator:
Back