.30BR barrel twist rate

Bijagos

Hi,
I´m new to this forum and recently shooting (score) benchrest,
Being in the process of ordering a Heavy Varmint rifle in .30BR, I´ve to decide on barrel twist rate.
Not having easy acess, in this part of the world, to custom bullets, I´ll be using Berger Flat base, 110/115 grain bullets,
My question is : For this type of bullets what will be the best twist rate to use ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Over on accurateshooter.com there's an entire write-up on the 30 BR. Bullets, powders, case prep, barrel twists, etc. It will probably answer your question and a few more.

Dennis

Over on accurateshooter.com there's an entire write-up on the 30 BR. Bullets, powders, case prep, barrel twists, etc. It will probably answer your question and a few more.

Dennis

Thank you for answering,
I' ve read it. Excelent information. If that information was not available i would not be encouraged to order a rifle in this calber,
I understood that it's not so much the bullet weight, but also it's profile/lenght, that determines best twist rate.
And since I cannot (I dont know how to) compare the profile of the berger bullets with those custom bullets given as reference, I'm asking for specific guidance on this matter.
Best regards
Lois

Heavy Varmint barrel, 24", 1 in 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
1-17" is pretty standard. But some have had great success shooting slower twist rates. Wayne France comes to mind. 1-18" is an alternative.

Depends on the bullet length you intend to shoot

I have 2 .30brs that I use in local matchs. A 17 LV Krieger and a sporter 17 Brux. Both will stabilize bullets up to 1.1" long, but no more than that. If custom bullets are hard to get where you are some Bergers, Speers, and Sierras work very well in my 17's. Here is a list of bullet lengths. I do not know the maximum length that an 18 will stabilize.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml

1-17" is pretty standard.

I tend to agree with this , I have also had some great 18 twist barrels. I currently shoot 18 to 17 gain twist barrels. I will not argue that is best , I simply say this combination works great for me.
Dick

Don´t have much to decide,
I´ll go, if available, for a 1-17 twist
It´s going to take a while before I begin shooting this rifle
Thanks to all for helping
Best Wishes
Lois

Back