300wsm

R

Rob Ashcraft.

Ok..got my next HG barrel back and ready to roll with a 300WSM next season...at one barrel will be chambered this way. 0.338" neck, so just a clean up on the Norma brass. Broughton 5C 11 twist barrel. What does experience tell all you WSM shooters out there?

Rob

Be afraid........be VERY afraid.....of 300 WBY shooters!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Just kidding!!:D

I wish I was a little more adventurous....I sure would like to try one. 20+ years with the old 300 WBY caliber......I kinda know my way around 'em. I have 2 new 30 cal blanks on order for next year. I planed on chambering them both the same.....I THINK :confused:

I am sure in a couple of years the 300wsm will dominate the 1K game.

Although....I have been wrong once before......ONCE!!;)

Tod

300wsm's

I think they are already dominating 1k?matt kline rechambered his 300weatherby to 300wsm and said it shot better.

300 WSM Works

You know it. Have seen way too many 300WSMs just shoot to not give one a try, plus 2500+ rounds out of a barrel. Dienes, Bower, Lucas x2, Kline, Springman, Lorenz, Sabo, Harke, and a host of othersthat I cant recall at the moment have shot the lights out with it.

Seems to be a pretty consistent opinion of what works out there from folks that have pm'd me as well. Guess I'll find out in the spring! :D

Later
Rob

If I remember correctly....

... a 300 WSM won LG at the Nat'ls this year. :D

Rob, I don't have any 11 twist experience, but 210's may work okay in that one, but you may want to try some 185's or 190's because of the twist.
I have always used a 10 twist in my 30's and when it works you don't mess with it.

Good luck,
Danny

Rob I'm not sure which twist is better. My light gun is 11 twist and heavy gun is 10 twist and both shoot well. The 11 twist seems to want about 1 grain more powder. Both are Broughton 5C and shooting Berger 210.

Last edited:
Danny

Wasnt sure which LG you were shooting this year at Nats, but when you get in a zone does it really matter? ;)

Seems 4350 has been the powder of choice from alot of folks and I think Jeff Walker used MRP in his if my memory serves me correctly. Got plenty of MRP on my shelf so will want to try it out as well. Need to come up with another HG rest before I can do much of anything though.

DK... i can see the 11 needing a bit more powder with the decreased backpressure so will keep that in mind as I go about tuning this one up.

Thanks for all the info so far guys, am sure there are other WSM newbies reading and learning as well.

Rob

Rob,
after I got home from Nationals I looked at the results a little closer, I was in 1st place LG after Sat. and had 1 flyer that cost me a 4 inch group on sun. oh well, have to count em all.
I was shooting 190 berger, 26" douglas barrel 10 twist H4350 2950fps.
One thing I have found in my 300wsm is that you can find a load for just about any combination of powders and bullets but one thing that makes a big different in my gun is non-magnum primers. I use CCI BR2. they shoot quite a bit better than some of the magnum primers i have tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno

Dunno, havent made it go bang yet. Probably start with 0.002" and go from there. Anyone out there with first hand info?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played with various neck tensions and loaded o.d.'s. After talking to bill shehane he says go with .003 tension and .003 o.d. from your neck diameter.... my gun is a .337 neck..i shoot norma brass so i settled on .335 loaded neck diameter and .003 tension...all my fliers went away...gun is a 34" kreiger,40x action...65.0 grs of n 165..hope this helps...chris

Back