300wsm or 300saum?

S

sdr

which do you prefer and why?
also this will be in a 40x short action single shot (no magazine).
If you were to set one up what specs would you use?
Any first hand knowledge is appreciated.

which do you prefer and why?
also this will be in a 40x short action single shot (no magazine).
If you were to set one up what specs would you use?
Any first hand knowledge is appreciated.

first off, you will limit yourself to a extent. when pulling a live round, you probably would have to pull the bolt, I have experience with that. The .300 wsm is a great case and Norma brass is available. I have no experience with the .300 saum, there is a post going on right now on this subject, check it out. Use a 30" barrel, turn necks and throat for the heavy bullets.

There has been quite a few successfull shooters using the .300 wsm.
Ron Tilley

40x

Ron is right on with bolt removal. I had a 7STW that began life as a 7mag----bolt removal was a must, a little annoying, but workable. BTW, I no longer have that 40X. A few years back I debated a 300SAUM( before the msw) and decided that the improved performance over a 300 WinMag was just not worth it, and outfitted a Sendero in 300 WinMag---Been happy. But, now, the short magnum is really getting me to thinking.

Dennis

I dont do 1000 yd BR....yet.The difference between the two almost comes down to personal preference.What little the WSM has in a capacity advantage,I believe,is made up for in the SAUMs efficiency.Norma is producing cases for both rounds now.Ive got a 300 SAUM with a 27" 1-11" tube and have no problem getting the 210s to 2800.I decided to own both,as my next project is a 300WSM.

Ron is right on with bolt removal. I had a 7STW that began life as a 7mag----bolt removal was a must, a little annoying, but workable. BTW, I no longer have that 40X. A few years back I debated a 300SAUM( before the msw) and decided that the improved performance over a 300 WinMag was just not worth it, and outfitted a Sendero in 300 WinMag---Been happy. But, now, the short magnum is really getting me to thinking.

Dennis

I believe the WSM preceded the SAUM by a year.

Tenspot, you probably are correct on the dates. Won't even consider questioning it. My intro to the short, fat, efficient cartridges (aka 6PPC) came just a little later, and has since been a matter of much contemplation on my part. I, do, however, stick with my analysis that the old 300 WinMag does a great job. Brass is now not as big a problem for the SAUM and wsm as a few years ago, but the SAUM still devours powder, makes action requirements longer and heavier, and maybe consumes barrels(I don't have any evidence of this, but think it's probably true). I'll also admit to never being a fan of the Wby Mags(too long). Bottom line---- the wsm may be the best of all possible worlds, but I'm pretty happy with the original--the 300 WinMag(until my pocket book regroups to get a wsm)

Regards,

Dennis

Tenspot, you probably are correct on the dates. Won't even consider questioning it. My intro to the short, fat, efficient cartridges (aka 6PPC) came just a little later, and has since been a matter of much contemplation on my part. I, do, however, stick with my analysis that the old 300 WinMag does a great job. Brass is now not as big a problem for the SAUM and wsm as a few years ago, but the SAUM still devours powder, makes action requirements longer and heavier, and maybe consumes barrels(I don't have any evidence of this, but think it's probably true). I'll also admit to never being a fan of the Wby Mags(too long). Bottom line---- the wsm may be the best of all possible worlds, but I'm pretty happy with the original--the 300 WinMag(until my pocket book regroups to get a wsm)

Regards,

Dennis
Dennis
It sounds to me that you have the 300 RSAUM (Remington Short Action Ultra Mag) confused with the 300 RUM (Remington Ultra Mag). The 300 SAUM has less case capacity that the 300 WSM. The WSM is also slightly longer than the SAUM.
The Nosler 300 SAUM brass is excellent quality, better than the Norma 300 SAUM brass.
James

James

Yes, I erred---my thoughts were entirely focused on Ultramag vs shortmag vs Winmag, but my fingers and subconcious led me into the SAUM mire.

??

since you are all talking about this cal anyway. what twist rate are you using in the 300wsm for a 175smk or 175berger vld? i use a 11" for my 308 and 175smk but all i've heard it use 10 to give you a wider range of weights/profiles over the 11

little help please, i'll looking to keep them stable at +1000yds.

(background on me--tactical style and F class shooter. but very new to F class. am building a new gun in 300wsm)

Last edited by a moderator:
a 10 twist will get you in the 180 to 200 grainers and be very stable, at least they are in my currentt 30-338. just would like to know if any of ya'll out there prefer the wsm over the short-aum or vice versa, also barrel life is of big interest to me in both these calibers. How many rounds do you have with either one and still competetive on the bench rest?
Is it 1000 rounds, 1500, 2000, 3000???

a 10 twist will get you in the 180 to 200 grainers and be very stable, at least they are in my currentt 30-338. just would like to know if any of ya'll out there prefer the wsm over the short-aum or vice versa, also barrel life is of big interest to me in both these calibers. How many rounds do you have with either one and still competetive on the bench rest?
Is it 1000 rounds, 1500, 2000, 3000???

Steve, I have had 3 barrels in the .300 wsm, 2 of the broughtons (5c) and 1 Krieger, all three are 11 twist all started out accurate, I feel the Krieger is going to outlast the 5c barrels that I have. I am now going to try Bartlien in a 10twist. You will play a HUGE role in the life of your barrel, by the way you clean and the powders that you use and the loads that you shoot and how hot you get it. Do you have a borescope? it has proved invaluable to me since I bought one. How competitive do you want to be? setting back and new blanks each season are part of the norm for the formats that I shoot. You should be able to reach 1000 rounds easy with the wsm with no problems if you do your part. I hope you take this answer as something helpfull. Ron Tilley

Back