3006 load

Doug Casner

Ordered a mod. 70 3006 today. Got the sporter looks kinda like a pre 64. After I get the barrel broke in ya got any pet loads to try? I think Im gonna try 150s. Looks like in the manuel theyll burn about any powder. From 4895 to 4831 or 7828. I know up at Lake City they used 4895 I think that was because of the operating rod in the M1. Anybody got any pet loads? Doug

Doug, you are correct, there is a specific load and pressure curve that makes a Garand work correctly, a Handloader could easilly duplicate it with either 4895 or 4064.

But for your Mod 70, with 150 to 180 grn bullets, it is hard to beat good ole 4831. My most accurate loades have always been with this powder in a 24 inch barrel.

As for pet loads, everybody will tell you that every Rifle is different. Trust your loading manual, and learn to look for any signs that pressure is getting on the exccesive side. The most common, tight bolt lift, flattenned primers, and severe cratering of the primer into the firing pin hole. I say severe because some factory Rifles have so much firing pin to hole clearance that just about anything will crater.

By the way, nothing beats a good Chronograph for working loads. There are velocities that are practical for every case and bullet combo, the loading manul is based on this. If you go back to the Range House and say, "I found a great accuracy load for my '06 at 3150 fps with those 180 Ballistic Tips", they will probably not want to be around when you fire it the next time........jackie

Thanks Jackie, I ve got some 4831 Ill try. My chronograph needs a battery. I dont want to be around if Im gettin 3150 from a 180 in an 06. thanks Doug

A long time back, a friend, whose primary hunting rifle was a 30-06, with which he shot 150 gr, Sierra Game Kings to good effect, told me that he got excellent performance with H414. Another powder that I have tried, that seems to give good performance, and fill the case nicely, when used with that weight bullet, is 4350. Back then, it was IMR; today I would probably go with H.

My pet for 30-06,,,,,H4831SC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, backup load,,,,,,AA3100,,,, 150 gr Sierra ProHunter or 180 gr Nosler Partition,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Dont stress out Doug,, IMR 4350 or H 4350 either will work just fine

I use 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, CCI 200 primer and 50gr Varget for a soft hunting load around 2840fps. If you want something more stout, try a powder in the 4350/R19 area.

Same load works pretty well with 8x57 and 150gr bullet. ;)

i all so load varget in my 3006 very nice load with my hotter load using win 760

Thanks for the tips riflemen. Got the mod. 70 yesterday sittin in my vise. got rings and mounts on the way. Get my scope and Ill be ready. I think Illtry a redfield. Hard to not go with Leupold but Leupold owns Redfield now and their about half the price of leupold. I can always take it off a put it on a 22 if I dont like it . Thanks Guys, Doug

i load winchester 760 for 150 and up and varget under 150 both work very well

If you look at Hodgdon"s website, ( http://www.hodgdon.com/ ) it would appear that there is a difference between the pressure curves of H4831 and their other offerings. Their data shows a substantially lower peak pressure at similar (near max) velocities than with any of their other powders in the 30-06. I would have to ask if it doesn't produce a lower flame temperature. It also produces it's maximum performance with a compressed load (although they do say that SC takes up a little less room).

Those observations and the accuracy that I have found it to give with 180 grain bullets makes it my first choice.

Back