300 WSM Build Questions

D

Daveworkslocal

Hello all!

This is my first post and I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I have recently been attending some local NBRSA 1000yd events and I have had less than optimal results with my 6.5 Grendel (no wind record was 7 15/16th's in light gun) and I have set about building a competition rifle to bring me on par.

So far I have:
30"x1.21" straight cylinder Schnieder polygonal barrel in 1 to 9 twist
Donor Remington 700 LA in 300wm
And a Gary Eliseo RTM chassis on the way

My questions are; what problems will I face when using a Long action with a 300WM magazine when loaded with 300WSM ammunition, and is this even feasible?
I would like to shoot the 210 VLD's but I'm worried I wont be able to match the velocity of that of the 300WM with that bullet. I know most of the disadvantages incurred when using heavy bullets in the WSM is that the bullets must be seated well into the case to stay under max COAL, thus taking up powder capacity.
Will I be able to avoid this by seating the bullets way out utilizing the space created by the LA?

If all else fails, I'll stick with the good ole' 300WM.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

First of all... fuh'GEDDABOUT velocity!!! It gains you exactly NOTHING. What you need is consistency and the WSM beats the WM there. Now if you do use the WM you can get it to be pretty consistent with a Willis Collet Die but IMO why fight it? The 300WSM is just an easier round.

You got all kinda' other issues to worry about if you're actually looking to be competitive. Are you going to shoot from the mag in competition?

al

First of all... fuh'GEDDABOUT velocity!!! It gains you exactly NOTHING. What you need is consistency and the WSM beats the WM there. Now if you do use the WM you can get it to be pretty consistent with a Willis Collet Die but IMO why fight it? The 300WSM is just an easier round.

You got all kinda' other issues to worry about if you're actually looking to be competitive. Are you going to shoot from the mag in competition?

al

With the WM and a heavy bullet I would not be able to feed from the magazine. But, my idea was seating the bullets WAY out of the case on the WSM and using the long action and magazines to accommodate for it. If I were to use the WSM in a LA I would still have an extra .5" to use for seating depth ect.

And a Gary Eliseo RTM chassis on the way

My questions are; what problems will I face when using a Long action with a 300WM magazine when loaded with 300WSM ammunition, and is this even feasible?
I would like to shoot the 210 VLD's but I'm worried I wont be able to match the velocity of that of the 300WM with that bullet. I know most of the disadvantages incurred when using heavy bullets in the WSM is that the bullets must be seated well into the case to stay under max COAL, thus taking up powder capacity.
Will I be able to avoid this by seating the bullets way out utilizing the space created by the LA?

A WSM in a Rem magnum LA is not a problem. They will usually feed with no work to the feed rails/mag and if it won't it doesn't take much to make it feed. If you are going to run an Eliseo chassis w/AI mags then the same applies. Many have sucessfully been down this path for the exact reasons you want to do it.

Last edited:
A WSM in a Rem magnum LA is not a problem. They will usually feed with no work to the feed rails/mag and if it won't it doesn't take much to make it feed. If you are going to run an Eliseo chassis w/AI mags then the same applies. Many have sucessfully been down this path for the exact reasons you want to do it.

Thank you! Will the WSM match the capabilities of the WM with heavier pills when loaded as described above?

Thank you! Will the WSM match the capabilities of the WM with heavier pills when loaded as described above?

I can't answer that as my only experience is with 7mm SAUM and 7mm WSM with the heaviest being Berger 180 Hybrids. The 7mm Hybrids are really long hence many going the LA route. Search some of the tactical forums. Many guys are using LA w/AI mags with 300 WSM, 7 WSM and 7/300WSM.

Back