300 win mag shortcut

Tod Soeby

Deer seson.....again. I have a few friends with guns they want me to find a load for....nothing unusual. But one guy wants me to break in his new stainless, fluted, rem 700, laminated thumbhole stocked 300 win. He also handed me a couple of boxes of factory ammo to see what shoots best. He only wants to shoot 150 and 165 gr factory bullets. YUCK. Simple enough, right. But noooooooo....not me. I need to tinker with it to feel fullfilled. I need to try at least a few handloads.....just to see. I will call it an important part of any BBL break in.;);) The only other 300 win I tried was a complete disaster. I felt like a 12 year old kid with a new gun and loading stuff, but no clue what I was doing. One of those expensive CZ something or other that came as a pakage deal with a Nightforce Scope. I tried everything I could think of, from 200 gr down to 165's, and from IMR 4350 up to retumbo. The thing was "GAURANTEED" TO SHOOT 1moa to some far out distance..............BULL. I shot 105 groups with the thing.....best it did was right at 1 moa.....with FACTORY AMMO. I was (am) depresed. I have never been treated so cruelly by a gun in my life. And I am FOR the second amendment!!!!:D:D

Any idea what to throw at it. I am not going to spend a lot of time on it, but I want to wring it out a little.

Last edited:
Tod,
R22 and H4831 are old standby powders in the 300 Win Mag w/ 180-200gr class bullets. The majority of the time if a 300 Winny won't shoot with those powder/bullets combos then there is something wrong somewhere else. Me personally... I've had better luck w/ R22 overall in this case. But many more will argue for H4831. But you won't hear me argue against it either.

My old hunting load for my Sendero was Fed Brass, R22, Fed 215, 180gr Nosler BTs with my long range loads seated into the lands and my field loads seated just off the lands to make sure there were no train wrecks 1/2 way up a tree.

My long range loads, I kept segregated in a different MTM box and the case heads were blackened with magic marker also.

Steve

I have a sendero that I am shooting 74.5 Grains RL22 with federal large rifle primers and nosler BT. I skim bedded it and now it shoots better than I do. I changed the scope out and now I have to figure out why it is hitting me in the bridge of my nose every time I squeeze the trigger.:eek:That crap, from my experience will make you a little gun shy.

Try N160 and R19.. I've shot N160 w/ bullets around the 168gr and R19 w/ heavier bullets mainly 180gr accubonds.

N160 is a little fast but the senderos seem to like it w/ the lighter bullets,,, N560 may work as well w/ the light ones.

good luck

I shoot from 150gr to 180 gr in my 2 different 300 Win Mag's,and load for 6-7 more, check the hodgdon site, H4831SC, (workup slow, almost all I've load for will handle right up to the top of the data window). I did have one awhile back that would only shoot with AA3100, most like to be close to the lands,
.003-.010 off

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

I have 300 win mag and have done a lot of load development with it and RE22 74.5 gr. and a 180 accubond shoots real well for a hunting load.
If you would like something that kicks less shoot a 168 Sierra match king with 70 gr. of IMR4831. My best group out of my hunting rifle is .241 at 100 yards with this load. Both loads are with Federal 210 match primers

TOD, Try RL19 74.5-75.5gr fed210, almost any 168 gr bullet,mine likes the Barnes 3x (jumping 50 thou) and nosler CT168.

Tod

If the guy is just using it for deer hunting try Federal Match ammo with 190 SMK's
If I have to test a rifle that's my go to ammo to see if there is a problem. I've never seen a 300 that wouldn't shoot it quite well. Pretty devastating on deer also. It's not for meat hunters.

Dave

Tod

If the guy is just using it for deer hunting try Federal Match ammo with 190 SMK's
If I have to test a rifle that's my go to ammo to see if there is a problem. I've never seen a 300 that wouldn't shoot it quite well. Pretty devastating on deer also. It's not for meat hunters.

Dave

Hi Dave,

can´t contact your Web-side.
Please send me an e-mail add. to MTKXX@t-online.de

Thanks a lot
Best Regards
2RECON

Tod

Dave
Dave,

I did a little reserch, but can't find a sorce for this ammo. Where do you get yours?

Thanks
TOD

Tod,

One load that seems to work in every Remington 300 Win Mag is, one grain under maximum of H4831sc ( I beilieve is 79.0gr. ) with a non-magnum primer, pushing a Nosler 150gr. Ballistic Tip. Like I said, for some reason this load works in every Remington I know of.

-----------------------------------Jeff

Tod,

One load that seems to work in every Remington 300 Win Mag is, one grain under maximum of H4831sc ( I beilieve is 79.0gr. ) with a non-magnum primer, pushing a Nosler 150gr. Ballistic Tip. Like I said, for some reason this load works in every Remington I know of.

-----------------------------------Jeff

I am going to pass on the whole NON- magnum primer thing. It can get 10 to 20 degrees BELOW ZERO around here during hunting season!!

Thanks for the info.
Tod Soeby

Back