.30 or 6mm for short range group shooting this year?

Craig's barrels sure did shoot, but if you chucked them up through the headstock and looked down the tube, they looked like a cork screw. If someone wanted to do the Gordy method of clocking the bore, you would go nutz.

When Ultimate benchrest began 4 seasons ago, many, maybe most of the regulars had come from IBS score shooting and were shooting 30BRs. For the first and second season the 30BR won most everything. Then folks began to figure out that the caliber neutral targets made the larger hole the 30 makes irrelevant. As we've moved along more people have pulled the 6PPCs and 22s out of the safes. The 30s in the right hands still win their share of matches, but most of us have decided that the added cost of shooting more expensive bullets and the tougher gun handling isn't worth it. I'd be the first to say that a 30BR has the potential to do very well in group shooting, but it has no advantage in score shooting when using a caliber neutral target. The most accurate rifle in the hands of the best shooter will win.

Rick

When Ultimate benchrest began 4 seasons ago, many, maybe most of the regulars had come from IBS score shooting and were shooting 30BRs. For the first and second season the 30BR won most everything. Then folks began to figure out that the caliber neutral targets made the larger hole the 30 makes irrelevant. As we've moved along more people have pulled the 6PPCs and 22s out of the safes. The 30s in the right hands still win their share of matches, but most of us have decided that the added cost of shooting more expensive bullets and the tougher gun handling isn't worth it. I'd be the first to say that a 30BR has the potential to do very well in group shooting, but it has no advantage in score shooting when using a caliber neutral target. The most accurate rifle in the hands of the best shooter will win.

Rick

Could you please explain a "caliber neutral target"?

I would really like to see some UBR in our area. UBR sounds like a great game!! Lee

It's really fairly simple. Someone has to take responsibility for running the matches and the range pays the fee for membership. I think it's $25 for the season. Individuals do not have to be members, and match fees are $2 per shooter. This is the administrative fee that pays for keeping the records, annual trophies and such. The organizer gets the targets from Danny Hensley, who started and owns UBR, and send match reports to him after the match. That gets you into the SSOY and records. We've been doing it in Gallatin since the beginning and participation has grown every season. I think the best part for me as match director is that when a person contacts me and asks me what he needs to compete, I can tell him to bring his most accurate rifle and we will have a class for him. This includes custom benchrest rifles, modified Remingtons from the past and Factory rifles like Savages and Remingtons. The caliber neutral targets give everyone an equal chance without giving the caliber that makes the biggest hole an advantage. The 30s still win, but the 6s and 22s take their share and maybe a little more.

If anyone wants more details, feel free to contact me or Danny Hensley through the UBR website. Our season starts in just a few weeks.

Rick

It's really fairly simple. Someone has to take responsibility for running the matches and the range pays the fee for membership. I think it's $25 for the season. Individuals do not have to be members, and match fees are $2 per shooter. This is the administrative fee that pays for keeping the records, annual trophies and such. The organizer gets the targets from Danny Hensley, who started and owns UBR, and send match reports to him after the match. That gets you into the SSOY and records. We've been doing it in Gallatin since the beginning and participation has grown every season. I think the best part for me as match director is that when a person contacts me and asks me what he needs to compete, I can tell him to bring his most accurate rifle and we will have a class for him. This includes custom benchrest rifles, modified Remingtons from the past and Factory rifles like Savages and Remingtons. The caliber neutral targets give everyone an equal chance without giving the caliber that makes the biggest hole an advantage. The 30s still win, but the 6s and 22s take their share and maybe a little more.

If anyone wants more details, feel free to contact me or Danny Hensley through the UBR website. Our season starts in just a few weeks.

Rick

How onerous are the logistics of handling three different targets on the line at a large match? I do like the idea however.

How onerous are the logistics of handling three different targets on the line at a large match? I do like the idea however.

Once a chart of shooters and targets is made it's a non issue
There are occasional mistakes, but no real problem.
Rick

We're going to be shooting the UBR targets at River Bend on Feb 14th (100 & 200 yds).

Some of the UBR "regulars" came south and showed the River Benders how to shoot yesterday -- Greyfox being the main instructor with a 490 in windy conditions. Turnout was light but the fellowship was fun.

We may try this again next month on the 15th; if interested, contact Jim Andress.

A couple of people have mentioned that it cost more to shoot a 30BR. I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is actually cheaper to shoot a 30BR over a 6ppc. The cost of bullets is recovered when you figure in the cost of the barrel and chambering of that barrel compared to how many shots you will get from that barrel.

I just had a LV rig built with a 30BR chamber. I do not shoot a lot of group - (more Hunter and VFS) so wanted something that will "carry over" in terms of making brass, load development, knowing what the bullet will do, practice, etc.

A couple of people have mentioned that it cost more to shoot a 30BR. I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is actually cheaper to shoot a 30BR over a 6ppc. The cost of bullets is recovered when you figure in the cost of the barrel and chambering of that barrel compared to how many shots you will get from that barrel.

I just had a LV rig built with a 30BR chamber. I do not shoot a lot of group - (more Hunter and VFS) so wanted something that will "carry over" in terms of making brass, load development, knowing what the bullet will do, practice, etc.

Well, you're a stronger man than me, McGee. I bought a used LV 30BR in a Teddy action. After firing it a bit, I decided to have a 30BR barrel made for my HV gun. Haven't shot that one yet so I hope the recoil won't be as punishing as the LV 30BR.

Jason,
I won't disagree with what you're saying, but I'll speculate a little and maybe give you something else to consider. I've done a little checking this morning on bullet prices. I can buy 68gr 6mm for $26.00 per 100. I can get 118gr .308 bullets for $40-46 per 100 depending on the maker. Let's split the difference and call it $16.00 per hundred between the two. It seems that in score shooting a 30BR barrel should be as good as it's going to be for around 5000 rounds. With some, maybe more. Most people don't shoot group with a 30BR, so maybe the jury is out on how it would compare in a group shooting with that kind of round count.

OTOH- Current wisdom seems to be that a 6PPC is good for 1000-1500 rounds in >group< matches. Since almost no one shoots a 6PPC in IBS or NBRSA score matches it's really not a fair comparison. There are quite a few shooters using 6PPCs in UBR score matches. One in particular comes to mind. This rifle is a sleeved XP100 with over 7000 rounds on the barrel. When the owner quit shooting with us he briefly held the 100 yard record in Modified Class with a score only 2 points below the current record. So, what I'm suggesting is, a good 6PPC barrel still has the accuracy to compete in score matches long after it has lost the knife edge accuracy to win a big group matches. As I'm sure you know, it takes a different skill set to win in score matches as opposed to group matches. Not saying one is better than the other, just different.

So, if you allow the same price for the barrel blanks and chamber work, the difference @ 5000 rounds is around $800 in bullet cost +or-. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a .224 or .243 cal is a better choice for some types of score shooting. Of course, UBR matches aren't all over the country so it's probably a moot point. But over the past 4 seasons we've seen more folks go to the lighter recoiling .224s and .243s and be even more competitive. Anyway, that's another way to look at it.

Rick

Jason,

Since almost no one shoots a 6PPC in IBS or NBRSA score matches it's really not a fair comparison.
Rick
If you look at the actual numbers, you might be surprised. I can't comment on NBRSA matches, but scanning last years IBS Score shoot equipment lists, I find that roughly 15 -20 % of the VFS shooters were campaigning 6 PPC's. Some competitors just never took to the 30 BR, regardless of the scoring advantage. I believe Roy Hunter and Hal Drake proved the 6 can still do well as shown at the 2013 Bud Prior by taking 1st and 3rd respectfully.

Nice post Rick. Thank you. I enjoy looking at problems from different perspectives. I'm only stubborn on a few things.:eek:
How long will a 30BR barrel last in group shooting before it loses it's competitive edge? I do not know the answer to that. I'm guessing some people do. I will find out - but will take me a couple years. That is the question that needs to be answered if we are to compare apples to apples in relation to price. Thank you.

I'm guessing the recoil won't be that much different than a Hunter class rifle. I realize I am giving up some things in order to gain in other areas.

Last edited:
Back