30 cal rail gun ?

82boy

Patrick Kennedy
I was at breakfast today, and thought about rail guns. (If things go right it may be my next purchase.) Has anyone ever did a 30BR rail, and if so how does/did it do? I was thinking that many have reported great accuracy with the 30BR, and the new group record was shot with a 30PPC. I thought would it be worth the effort, money and time to pursue a 30 cal rail gun.

Wilbur Harris shot a .30 BR rail gun for a few years. I think he did well with it. I'm sure he'll let you know.

Upside, a rail will shoot 10 shot 30 cal groups with no noticable recoil affects which can sometimes be troublesome with 30 cal stocked rifles and probably have fewer fouling issues with 10 shot strings due to a larger bore.

I believe Dave Tooley shot one a few years ago when they shot unlimited at the s.s. seemed to work well if I recall, maybe Dave will give some insight..George

George that was many years ago and was a 30 American shooting 150 gr. bullets. After shooting 22's a lot it seemed to jump a good bit. I built a 30 BR for Charles Ellertson. A tube gun. It shoot well considering all the things that could go wrong because of the design.

Dave

Yes, the recoil was disturbing

On the other hand, it shot quite well.....when it wanted to. I took it to Mickey's place in Greenville, AL and Friday evening I couldn't get it to shoot anything but a single hole at 200. I was gonna show out come Saturday but the darn thing wouldn't shoot a lick. Actually, I was ashamed. Screwed the thing off in favor of a PPC and don't believe I ever screwed it back on. I promised the barrel to Charles E., who bought it in the first place, but never got around to sending it to him. He's likely better off!

As I remember, the darn thing shot best with a powder that only allowed one shot per fire formed case. Don't remember what powder it was but if somebody said it I would/might recognize the number. It was hell on cases but shot very well. Took it to Roanoke for its maiden voyage and shot three .2XX and two .4xx ten shot targets with it. As I remember, the cases were horrible for the last two 4xx targets and I always believed that if I'd had more cases I woulda ended up pretty darn good. Thing is, and it always is, I could have shot a better agg with a reasonable shooting PPC. I say "reasonable" as there's PPCs that won't shoot a lick. I beat a whole bunch of PPCs with that agg but was some distance from the top. That's my recollection anyways but if someone refutes it I'm with him.

When building a benchrest gun....never build anything but a PPC....for now at least.

I think it was 4227! I had to quit shooting whatever it was because my cases only lasted one shot but it was really good stuff. Don't remember what I put in it in the end but I thought it was good...not unlike the other times I thought something was good. In the end, I'm gonna say that the 30BR is a good thing...but just not better than the 6PPC....if I haven't already said that...

I think it was 4227! I had to quit shooting whatever it was because my cases only lasted one shot but it was really good stuff. Don't remember what I put in it in the end but I thought it was good...not unlike the other times I thought something was good. In the end, I'm gonna say that the 30BR is a good thing...but just not better than the 6PPC....if I haven't already said that...

4227 WILL wreck cases. It would be worthwhile to try one of the proven powders like N130 or 4198....or Tubal:cool:

30 Stewart Rail

I shoot a 30 Stewart (modified 30PPC) in my rail just like my bag gun. Best results was 10th Grand in the Nationals at Phoenix two years ago. I do not shoot a heavy bullet (BIB 112).

mks

Three years ago, I chambered up a 1-18 twist unlimited barrel for my rail, mainly just to test components.

It shot quite well, I even won a yardage in a Regional Match.

The recoil is bad enough that I would have to stop the top on the gun with my thumb, or it would hit the stop hard enough to disturb the gun on he bench.

The 6 is better in a rail.

Back