30 BR Load data

E

ehkempf

I am trying to help out a fellow shooter. I am loading for load data for a 30 BR using powder other than H 4198, more specifically I am hoping to find some load ideas for IMR 4198 or H322, as that is the only powder choices this person has. He has a large supply of Berger 110 g. and I have some custom 115 and 120 g. bullets. I contacted Berger, but their response was that the 30 BR was a wildcat and they have no load data for their 110 or 115g bullets, go figure.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed, if you're talking about the H322 Extreme (and not some of the old 322's), you're not going to get enough in the case to hurt anything. It's a pretty bulky powder compared to H4198, so that will help some. I've tried some of the H322 Extreme just to get a feel for how it acts....it's slow enough that the necks like to get sooty all the way to the neck/shoulder junction (due to light pressure), but it didn't shoot too bad. You can get around this somewhat with a solid 'jam', a good amt. of neck tension and by picking up the bullet weight. An improvised l-o-n-g drop tube would also be a good idea.

I know you said there's only IMR4198 (stay away from it) and H322 where you're at...but if you can find some Benchmark, it can also perform well.

The problem with trying to make a powder work that's just not there is that in the long run you'll use up more $ in components that getting the good powder and movingforward with getting your program worked out and competitive.

Where are you located?

Good shootin'. -Al

I have to weigh in on this one because my #1 "go to" powder is H322 with any 110,112,115 and 118 grain bullets..I can get upwards of 3,200 fps here in West Texas during the summer months..but the accuracy node is around 2,990-3,005...I use 36 grains of H322 over a Federal 205 primer...seated just lightly kissing the lands...works great in temperatures 75-100 degrees which are most common here in my area during our shooting season...
As with any BR gun it only shoots as good as the brass and driver will allow...my secret tip...get some older vintage Gold Box Lapua 6br brass and form your 30BR brass from it... anneal on a proven quality annealing machine (or pay to have it done)...shoot it forever don't get sucked into changing brass if the accuracy starts to fade (anneal after 7-10 realoads)...remember neck tension is part of the load development as is seating depth...I started with an 18 twist barrel and after it started to fade I now shoot a Bartlein 19 twist barrel...best barrel I have ever owned..it holds our range records at 100/200 yards all done with H322...

Eddie in Texas

All I have used in the 30 BR is 322 it has always shot well (in 3 different barrels) at the 35-36 gr range

IMR4198 - 30BR: Starts at 33gr and I thing you will find it from 33.5 to 34.5 gr. I find it works a little better with winchester and wolf magnum small rifle primers. Seems like I4198 needs some extra spark for consistancy. I4198 has never seemed like an unsafe powder for the 30 BR. You need a long drop tube for charges greater than 35gr with it. I had a bbl that like 34.9 gr of IMR4198. Good luck.

30BR load

IMR4198 - 30BR: Starts at 33gr and I thing you will find it from 33.5 to 34.5 gr. I find it works a little better with winchester and wolf magnum small rifle primers. Seems like I4198 needs some extra spark for consistancy. I4198 has never seemed like an unsafe powder for the 30 BR. You need a long drop tube for charges greater than 35gr with it. I had a bbl that like 34.9 gr of IMR4198. Good luck.
PR2Shooter,
Sorry for digging out this old thread which is still up to date with today's use of 30BR, I think.
I have a question for you: How did you manage to fit 34.9 gr. of IMR 4198 in a 30BR case ? I just finished forming my cases and never shot one bullet in my new Shillen barrel. All I can fit in my cases is 29.5 gr. of IMR 4198. If I try to fit more, I'll have no more room for the bullet !

PR2Shooter,
Sorry for digging out this old thread which is still up to date with today's use of 30BR, I think.
I have a question for you: How did you manage to fit 34.9 gr. of IMR 4198 in a 30BR case ? I just finished forming my cases and never shot one bullet in my new Shillen barrel. All I can fit in my cases is 29.5 gr. of IMR 4198. If I try to fit more, I'll have no more room for the bullet !

When people mention a 30BR and 4198 powder here and most places, by and large, they are referring to Hodgdon H4198 rather than the IMR stuff. It is quite a bit smaller kernel than the IMR.

p.s....Just noticed how old this thread is but it's still true today.

Me too, Mike. It wasn’t until Danny mentioned the old thread bit that I realized the thread was old. But you know? It is still very relevant. And when Al Nyhus mentioned dirty neck I couldn’t help but wonder about a dirty neck chamber. Be sure to clean that up every cleaning.

In the beginning

We used N-130 in the 30 BR as well as the 30x44. N-130 is as good as it gets in the 30 BR but the importer use to be sporadic about importing it and in the beginning, one could get it in 8 pounders but that changed! I quit using it when it became almost unobtanium.

Pete

The IMR

is a good bit slower than the H. cant get enough of it n a case to do much good. I know, I bought an 8 pounder by mistake. Should be ok in a 47MM case though.

Pete

Back