30 BR & H322 powder

R Stiner

Has anyone tried H322 in a 30BR?

I have a 30BR barrel less than 300 rd's that just won't shoot consistent with H4198 or LT-30!

maybe a slower powder might be worth a try.

Just looking to try something else before it ends up in the garden holding up tomato's!

Russ

Has anyone tried H322 in a 30BR?

I have a 30BR barrel less than 300 rd's that just won't shoot consistent with H4198 or LT-30!

maybe a slower powder might be worth a try.

Just looking to try something else before it ends up in the garden holding up tomato's!

Russ

Well if it doesn't shoot consistent with those 2 powders, try Vihtavuori N130. H322, RL7, some lots of the older AA2015BR will work in a 30BR, but it might not be the powder. Try a different bullet. Maybe that barrel doesn't like the bullets that your feeding it. I don't know if you have a Krieger barrel, but I keep hearing the same answer from a lot of guy's that their Krieger's didn't start shooting well till it had about 400 rounds thru it. I was going thru the same situation. I put a new 17TW Krieger on one of my Black Widow's. It didn't start shooting well until 2 weeks ago when the barrel had 435 rounds thru it. I changed bullets and powder and the thing just really started to shoot very well.

Last edited:
Jim

Do you have a starting load for N130? I've been wanting to try it. Nows as good a time as any...

Thanks
Russ

Jim

Do you have a starting load for N130? I've been wanting to try it. Nows as good a time as any...

Thanks
Russ

If you buy the current N130 that is available out there, which will be 2.2.2011, try 35.5 grains and go up to 36. In a older Lilja 3 groove with 2800 rds thru it, the first load that I gave u averaged 3016, the other 3053. I was using 2 different bullets and they averaged about the same speeds with the same loads, a 115 10X, and a 116 Euber. Now since you have a newer barrel, start at 35 grains because out of a fairly new Krieger with the same action with 35 grains I was getting an avg of 3025 fps and 3065 with 35.7 using a 115 10X.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but if you have a 30BR barrel that won't shoot 4198, I wouldn't waste any more bullets trying to make it work.I'd get another barrel.

I have shot nothing but Krieger Barrels since I started shooting a 30BR. Every one of them will shoot the same load of 4198.

Jim
Thanks for the info i'll give N130 a try. I have some H322 laying around I'll try also...

Jackie
Chances are your right! if it shows the same results after 15 to 20 rds from each powder I'll move on.

H322 over the years has seemed to have faded away from the Benchrest comunity.

Thanks
Russ

I shot

H322 when I had my first BR rifle done in 30BR over 20 years ago. I had a Hart 1-14T barrel. Like Pag's experience with his Krieger, my first Hart didn't come into it till over 500 rounds then it shot exceptionally well. The H322 worked fine. But, I'm kind of in agreement that if it won't shoot H4198 you've got issues. I used to shoot N130 but the price is close to 2X H4198 and the few pounds I have left just don't show me any advantage. Perhaps the newer stuff might?

Well if it doesn't shoot consistent with those 2 powders, try Vihtavuori N130. H322, RL7, some lots of the older AA2015BR will work in a 30BR, but it might not be the powder. Try a different bullet. Maybe that barrel doesn't like the bullets that your feeding it. I don't know if you have a Krieger barrel, but I keep hearing the same answer from a lot of guy's that their Krieger's didn't start shooting well till it had about 400 rounds thru it. I was going thru the same situation. I put a new 17TW Krieger on one of my Black Widow's. It didn't start shooting well until 2 weeks ago when the barrel had 435 rounds thru it. I changed bullets and powder and the thing just really started to shoot very well.

Maybe after the 435 rounds the throat wore enough that you finally had the correct seating depth?
Just wondering.

Russ I wouldn't give up just yet as Greg mentioned that his Hart didn't start shooting until around 500 rounds. The 1st year I started shooting, (2013) I was using H4198 in a RC 5R. It shot pretty well. I won a couple of out of state 100 yard club matches with it. Then at the end of the year, I sent it out to be cryoed and I knew when it came back that it wasn't going to shoot the load that I was using and I was right. What I learned was that it didn't want to shoot H4198 worth a sht anymore. I tried everything for a month at home that I could think of and same thing. Then I switched over to N130 and it was like somebody flipped a light switch on. Boy did it start really consistently shooting small groups. I was amazed that just by changing powders that was the problem. Just for shts and giggles, I switched back to H4198 and it did the same thing, it wouldn't group worth a damn.

Last edited:
Jim
Thanks for the info i'll give N130 a try. I have some H322 laying around I'll try also...

Jackie
Chances are your right! if it shows the same results after 15 to 20 rds from each powder I'll move on.

H322 over the years has seemed to have faded away from the Benchrest comunity.

Thanks
Russ

Russ, call me when U get a chance. RG

400 rounds at a $1.00 per round equats to $500.00 per barrel plus $400.00, $900.00 per barrel, I am glad you own that barrel. OH WELL! I will continue to lose most matches.

Jim

I too cryo'ed this barrel just to see if it cured the problem. It changed the stringing direction of the group but still same size grouping!

I'll try some different powders with hopes I'll stumble across the right combination. at least I'll get some good information on N130 & H322 powders on velocities from my labradar and not wear out a good barrel.

Mr gammon
You are correct I'm probably feeding a dead horse........I'll give her another 100 rounds and call it dead horse!

I got enough information now to keep me busy for the winter.

Thank you everyone for the free advise!
Russ

Perhaps

400 rounds at a $1.00 per round equats to $500.00 per barrel plus $400.00, $900.00 per barrel, I am glad you own that barrel. OH WELL! I will continue to lose most matches.

but I don't have the money or desire to have 20 new barrels a year to test and pick the best 2 or 3. I was close to giving up on my first barrel, a Hart, but glad I persevered. And yes, I tried all kinds of seating depths at first. That wasn't it and I guess its something I'll never know...why? Thats a contrast to my second barrel, a 3 groove Lilja that was a beaut from the get go.

I had a 30BR rail barrel back when it was the only 30BR to be found at Benchrest match. I was testing it for myself and others. At that point in time, H322 was not the best. Would shoot OK but was always on the edge of shooting a big one...and often did. I don't remember what the better powder was at that time but it doesn't matter much as it would all be gone now anyway.

Was the barrel competitive with the right load ?

I had a 30BR rail barrel back when it was the only 30BR to be found at Benchrest match. I was testing it for myself and others. At that point in time, H322 was not the best. Would shoot OK but was always on the edge of shooting a big one...and often did. I don't remember what the better powder was at that time but it doesn't matter much as it would all be gone now anyway.

Not really competitive but rather acted like a 6X47...shot well when it wanted to. I don't know if I ever had the right load. I remember shooting it at Rachel's Glen one Friday afternoon and put 20+ shots in a small hole at 200 yards....around a quarter inch. The next day, I couldn't get two bullet holes to touch...same load.

Back