30 br case forming

S

sakomeister

Hello, All I am in the process of making 30 br cases and was wondering what works the best. Any opinions would be great Thanks, John

How much Bullseye,AN COW ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do it

for gods sake determine the length of you chamber to the end of the neck and TRIM THE CASES FIRST! Oh and about 10g of bullseye, COW to the neck top off with wax or paper wad.

Don't be concerned about how straight the necks are before firing them the first time. When you whap them with around 50,000 psi, they will straighten out just fine! I recommend not seating the bullets into the lands for the first firing, provided there is an adequate light crush-fit of the case in the chamber. The Lapua cases will shorten from approx. 1.550" to around 1.520" after being necked up to 30-caliber I trim to 1.500" with the (suggested) 1.520 length chambers. I don't deburr the flash holes or uniform the primer pockets until after the first firing. I use a Ron Hoehn flash hole deburring tool that indexes on the primer pocket, not through the case mouth.

By Al Nyhus

Either way seems to work

Run them over an expander, turn the necks, load and shoot works for me. I think either method - blowing them out with filler or expanding and shooting bullets will work fine.

When I expanded over a K&M 6-30 in one pass mandrel the neck got bent pretty bad and never did straighten out in 13 firings.

Back