30 br bullets 115 to 118 grain

reelxprs

Has anybody recieved any jackets to build 30br 115to 118 grain bullets? If anyone has a excess of these bullets please contact me.
Jeff Fountain
910-620-2621

30 118

I was just at custom bullet makers shop to pick up 118s I had on backorder for several mos. he got some j4 jackets and made 16,000 . a guy from texas flew in and bought all except mine then flew back to texas !he was a doctor and offered a lg . bonus for all. the maker is in bad health and was doing all he could until he gets more jackets . sierra is tooling up to sell all the jackets we will need .

Seems to me that a prominent bullet maker just shot his way into the hall of fame shooting bullets he made using Sierra jackets = Bart Sauter comes to mind. Go figure.:D

Dan

I've been shooting bullets made on Sierra jackets in both .224 & .243 for most of the summer. They seem to have a slightly different POI than the ones made with J4s, meaning I can't mix the two. But that being said, if anything, the Sierras may be a little better than the J4s.

Rick

If Sierra jackets were as good as J4s you would have seen more use of them in the past, especially in competitive short-range BR. I believe they're just a stopgap measure until there's a resurgence of J4s. :)

If Sierra jackets were as good as J4s you would have seen more use of them in the past, especially in competitive short-range BR. I believe they're just a stopgap measure until there's a resurgence of J4s. :)

Things DO change! :p;) RG

I suppose you can choose to believe whatever you want to believe. I prefer to believe the targets.

Rick

Let me see

There is a huge difference between "Not quite J4" and no jackets at all. Those who have been shooting the Sierras have said the Sierras shoot very well.

Sauter wins the NBRSA 4 gun with his bullets made on Sierra jackets and they ar not as good as J4????

Last edited:

uuh, they have been, for years before j4 even existed

Take what follows as good solid rumor rather than absolute fact.

1. Sierra jackets have always been a little more ductile than J4s. This from some testing done when we had some long-shanked 6.5mm flat-base bullets (on J4s) blow up. So, both Sierra and J4s were tested. I don't have the numbers, or even the name of the testing laboratory, so it's "rumor."

2. As far as quality control goes, I *believe* Sierra will accept a variance of .0003, whereas J4 is less. I've heard .0002. Having said that, I know of a good bullet maker who sent a lot of Sierra jackets back because the variance approached .001 -- over 3 times what was said to be the limit. Of course, that doesn't mean that all Sierra's are .001 -- or even .0003.

It kind of boils down to a matter of quality control, and as Mike Walker pointed out in one of his interviews in Precision Shooting, how hard you can lean on the suppliers of the sheeting. If that's not held tightly, nothing else will help. Remington, a big buyer, was able to require very tight tolerances, why their 6mm competition bullets were the "best" (and money-losers, so they stopped the production...).

All it will take from Sierra is a decision to tighten up a bit on QC. For all I know, they already made that decision.

3. In years past, Sierra didn't give their distributors, except maybe two companies, a financial break. That meant you either had to go through those two distributors, or pay a lot more from a dealer who had to pay more. I have no idea if this continues today.

Last edited:
Saunter wins the NBRSA 4 gun with his bullets made on Sierra jackets and they are not as good as J4????

Bart's winning is a result of his shooting talent and Billy Stevens 15 years of kicking him in the butt [at least that's what Billy told me]. Ask Bart what his preference would be if he had both types of jackets sitting in front of him. :)

In years past, Sierra didn't give their distributors, except maybe two companies, a financial break. That meant you either had to go through those two distributors, or pay a lot more from a dealer who had to pay more. I have no idea if this continues today.[/QUOTE]

I have been dealing with sierra for jackets for 10-12 yrs. and I have always received what would be called a "discount". I ask for quote and receive price at a much lower price than j-4.

Ask Bart what his preference would be if he had both types of jackets sitting in front of him. :)[/QUOTE]

I have talked about this with him long before he made bullets, we see where he is now....

30 br bullets

I've been using Sierra jacket for over a year now on all of my bullets 22, 6 and 30 cals.
They are very bit as good and even better in some respect as J4 jackets. you can buy them as little as 1,000 at a time and that includes shipping.

Sierra Jackets..!

uuh, they have been, for years before j4 even existed

Yep...UuuuuHuuuuu..! Lotta World Records still standing today when it was ONLY Sierra jackets ..
For one, I'm happy there is another option....
Not to mention that I shot some Sierra 6mm 70gr MK's in a 13.5 twist Hart to AWESOME groups @ 200 this weekend.... Good greef...! I'm gonna have ta look HARD at these pills over the rest of this Summer....:)
cale

Well sir,

Since J-4 only started trying to screw the BR shooters who made them over the last few years, your argument is like a screen door on a submarine. Think about it. All the BR Custom bullet maker have been having impossible situations on getting jackets from J-4. Sierra steps up to fill the void, this year. Bart steps up to make Sierra financially pay attention. Bart wins his HOF points shooting Sierra jacketed bullets. Your data is out of date

30br 115 to 118 grain

Bart was not the only one to step up.
several others did also.
Peel off 10 k and they pay attention.
Right now even with 10 k they won't fill our prospective orders for jackets this year.
They are busy making bullets. That's what they say on their web site, although they will take backorders on a few 1,000
I still don't know what the deal on that is, Maybe they think we are taking away from their sales.
I guess Sierra doesn't know that the shapes and weight of bullets that we use in most cases are not available in their lines.
Notice I said Most not all.

It is painful to deal with sierra, I have been ordering over 100 -220 k per year for longer than I can recall. I have had some on order for yrs. not including the 900k ordered this yr.j-4 has basically priced themselves out of our market either on purpose or not its where it is. with sierra they are at this point saying we will run once a yr., but will not commit to a firm date for shipping. makes it hard for the b.r. bullet makers. I personally have talked with more co.'s than I care to think about and have received samples from some the same story love to do it but we are to busy to fit a run in. all I will say is be patient there is sun on the horizon.......

Jackets / Bullets...

j-4 has basically priced themselves out of our market either on purpose or not

Yep.. Gerry, they WANT us to buy THEIR >BULLETS<.......... Period. Jackets... Not so much..
Sierra, Guess they want us to buy their jackets... But would rather sell us their bullets....

As to the Semi-Custom bullets...
On one hand J4/Berger is making MORE competitive bullets (Columns) and TRY'n to produce them in enough volume to be "available".... Sierra only makes one 6mm bullet of "Benchrest capability"....... Generally available too... Sierra needs to LOOK at what is going on IN TODAY's Benchrest to make TRULY competitive bullet(s) to us BR guy's...... I KNOW SIERRA can do it..! Just do they wanna..?..

Us guy's with bullet making capability are getting little options...... Let alone those that are try'n to make Custom Benchrest bullets to sell..

cale

Back