30" barrel, bed or no

mshelton

I'm planning on putting a 1.250" 30" 6mm barrel on a Panda, can it's tennon support that big of a barrel or would it be better to bed the first few inches of the barrel?

If not a switch bbl build, 2" -3" of the bbl is just fine.
Remember most guys here deal with short bbl'd short range guns.
Their opinion come from that back ground.

You did not say what caliber, nor what application.

I doubt there's a set answer on this one. That said, a lot of 50 BMG shooters free float the barrel and those are 34 - 40". My State Arms 50 is free-floated and it shoots like a demon.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If not a switch bbl build, 2" -3" of the bbl is just fine.
Remember most guys here deal with short bbl'd short range guns.
Their opinion come from that back ground.

You did not say what caliber, nor what application.

Going to be a 6x284, groundhog rig that will be in an MBR Tracker, action will be bolted in ad bed.

Thanks for the responses, I know the Panda tennon is pretty tough, just wanted a few opinions on hanging that large a tube off it.

I deal with 30+" barrels everyday. Its gonna seem like its way too much when you set it into the stock but the panda is a great design and itll be fine.

Long Barrels and Stock Flex.

I`ve had more than one rifle...both hunting and 22# "F" class guns that improved with the added support of bedding.

We've built rifles on our Panda/bolt in rigs for F-Class competition with 32" 1.250" unlimited contour barrels with the barrel completely free-floating. These rifles have set world records.

Bedding the bottom of the barrel on a target rifle is undesirable. As the barrel heats up it will expand, and therefore should not be partially constricted by bedding in the stock.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

I agree with Greg. In the very first MBR stock I put a big bore Panda with a 30" fluted 1.350" barrel to see if there were any limits. The action was pillar bedded. I had no problems. That rifle is in the UK and still shooting.

Bed or No Bed.....

I agree.......... It would probably have a lot to do with the action used and the flexibility of the stock ......

Last edited:
Back