30 ARX for HBR?

papadetail

Is anyone here shooting the 30 ARX in HBR? Its a necked up 6.5 Grendel, my guess is after expanding you'd want to neck turn for a bench gun, other names are 30 Arrow and 30 Gremlin. Think this started out for competitive gas guns (AMU) but have heard some have adopted it for HBR.

Was curious if anyone here was doing it, or tried and what the results were.

Thanks!

Is anyone here shooting the 30 ARX in HBR? Its a necked up 6.5 Grendel, my guess is after expanding you'd want to neck turn for a bench gun, other names are 30 Arrow and 30 Gremlin. Think this started out for competitive gas guns (AMU) but have heard some have adopted it for HBR.

Was curious if anyone here was doing it, or tried and what the results were.

Thanks!

Variations on the Grendel Case necked up to 30 cal are popular in VFS, so I see no reason why it will not work in NBRSA HBR, which has no minimum case capacity.

Accuracy is on par with the 30BR.

With the NBRSA just changing their capacity rule in the past few years, a large amount of competitors are still using up old barrels, brass, and bullets. I am one of those. Discarding previously proven equipment is tough to do. Two years ago to get my daughter interested in competing with dad, I chambered a 30 BR so that she could tolerate the recoil. She proved to me that the smaller case and reduction in recoil can make the game easier for those that are recoil sensitive. The other reason that a person would build a 30 ARX would be that the case head size is identical to the 6PPC. Although I have not seen one used in hunter competition, there are a few being used in varmint for score.

A good place for info without the BS - here

Mike,

Thanks for the reply, had seen information on the 30 Major you'd authored.

Shoot at a local club in CO, and they have bench rest and HBR for score. I've building my first ARs and also wanted to produce one in a larger caliber for greater range. One is a "match rifle" and was wanting to do a 6 MM, but then ran across the 30 caliber based on the 6.5 Grendel.

While I would not be nearly competitive against the pure bench rest guns, figure it would be fun to shoot with that group in HBR and use the rifle with the gas turned off, and single loading.

Figured if I posted here, would get good information from people who actually did these things and not just opinions. When I saw the 30 caliber version 30 Major/30 ARX figured that would be a benefit over the 6 MM in HBR.

Thanks for the input, its appreciated! The loadings that were provided on line paralleled those for AR use, except of course maximum loads were lower.

For a long time Mike from CO had posted here about campaigning ARs in benchrest, and discussed what he was able to achieve group wise, with gas turned off and single loading, which is what got me curious and wanting to eventually build an AR to a better degree of accuracy than generally factory available offerings.

Much appreciated!

Back