30/40 problem

P

Pat B

I have recently purchased a 1898 30/40 Krag from a friend who inherited it but never used it. the rifle does not feed cartridges with or without the cutoff engaged. If the gun is held on its side the cartridges will roll into place, there seems to be no pressure against the cartridges to move them up. The only spring shown in the manual is the gate spring which does hold the loading gate firmly open or closed.
any suggestions?

Pat,
There should be a spring which applies pressure to the follower linkage when the gate is closed. Sounds like you have a broken or missing spring. I no longer have my 98 to look at. Regards, Bill

The schematic on the Numrich Gun Parts website shows the magazine follower spring although it is out of stock. My Krag not where I can put my hands on it but I think it may actually be the same spring that loads both the follower and the gate.

The schematic on the Numrich Gun Parts website shows the magazine follower spring although it is out of stock. My Krag not where I can put my hands on it but I think it may actually be the same spring that loads both the follower and the gate.

thanks for the input, I'll check Numrich schematic

30/40 Krag, you taking up Vintage Military? VM is really popular in 3 of our 4 local clubs and Vintage Military Sniper is getting popular at Camp Perry.

unplanned

30/40 Krag, you taking up Vintage Military? VM is really popular in 3 of our 4 local clubs and Vintage Military Sniper is getting popular at Camp Perry.

Jerry, my military collection was started unintentionally with gifts from an elderly friend. a Russsian SKS and a 1930 Spanish made 7mm Mauser.
the sporterized 30-40 Krag with tiger maple stock and no drill peep was purchased through a friend who inherited it. I had not considered a vintage gun club but might if there is one in the Utica/Rome,ny area.

Back