3 jaw chuck

ArtinNC

I see pictures of people using a 3 jaw chuck to chamber a barrel on some Contender forums , where they are using a barrel stub and threading it for a barrel . How can you dial in a barrel on a 3 jaw chuck ? I tried to look up a independent 3 jaw chuck and could not find one , do they even make one ?

I see pictures of people using a 3 jaw chuck to chamber a barrel on some Contender forums , where they are using a barrel stub and threading it for a barrel . How can you dial in a barrel on a 3 jaw chuck ? I tried to look up a independent 3 jaw chuck and could not find one , do they even make one ?

3-jaws are rarely as accurate as 4-jaws.

And 6-jaws are even more accurate.

So someone dialing in a barrel on a 3 jaw chuck isn't really doing that good of a job ? Is what I thought as soon as I saw it .

So someone dialing in a barrel on a 3 jaw chuck isn't really doing that good of a job ? Is what I thought as soon as I saw it .

Did you open the link that Rubicon Precision posted in Post #2?

A three jaw set true chuck is very handy for chambering. You can dial the ID in to .0001 inch if your lathe spindle has bearings that are capable.

Yes I saw the link and opened it , but it don't say much about the chuck . And the looks of it is very expensive . I don't want one but had never seen a 3 jaw independent chuck .

while we ARE in the 21st century, you could move into the 20th with and adjustable 3 jaw chuck.
all of my bbls are done in a adj 3 jaw...yes they are not cheap, but they save time and minimize strain on the bbl.
as was said 0.0001 in an adjustable 3 jaw chuck

Yes I saw the link and opened it , but it don't say much about the chuck . And the looks of it is very expensive . I don't want one but had never seen a 3 jaw independent chuck .

I got a o.ooo1 on my old Edco cheepy lath on my last barrel .
, But I did have to put new bearings in it and they were not cheep . But what little I do I will keep using my 4 jaw chuck .

Last edited:
Set-Thru's...3, 4, or 6 jaw. Special place in heaven for the inventor of that gem.

Justin

I have been a machinist my entire adult life, and I agree with this statement.

We even have a 16 inch “set true” 6 jaw on one of our lathes. That puppy cost a pretty penny.

There are 3-jaw lathe scroll chucks that can be be adjusted right on the lathe, all the manufactures below claim .0005" TIR repeatability.

Buck Chuck called their chuck: Adjust-Tru chuck
Pratt Burnard (PBA) calls their chuck: EZ-Set chuck
Kalamazoo Chuck Mfg. calls their chuck: Micro Set
Bison calls their chuck: SET-TRU

I have a nice 4-jaw but have used the set-tru 3-jaw for virtually everything. I actually two of them and a set-tru collet chuck. After using those I dislike the 4-jaw unless it's an odd shape I have to hold.

There are 3-jaw lathe scroll chucks that can be be adjusted right on the lathe, all the manufactures below claim .0005" TIR repeatability.

Buck Chuck called their chuck: Adjust-Tru chuck
Pratt Burnard (PBA) calls their chuck: EZ-Set chuck
Kalamazoo Chuck Mfg. calls their chuck: Micro Set
Bison calls their chuck: SET-TRU

Not all that useful when you want 0.0001

The set tru or adjust tru chucks are super useful in the machine world and are excellent choices for rifle barrel work. You can dial in a rifle bore to under .0001 easy with good 4 groove cut rifle barrels and a set tru chuck. I have two 3 jaw and one 6 jaw set tru chucks. I would never go back to independent 4 jaw for rife barrel indicating. These things are worth every penny!

One might be able to get it too .0001 and might being the key. But it won't remain there very long so not very realistic as any temp change would actually change it. Divide it by two per each side and you are looking at pretty much it being an impossibility.

Back