280 Ackley

D

Deano 29

Hi,

I am curious what you guys have experienced or think of the 280AI for 1k and 500m benchrest.I currently have a rifle being built and i am looking to run 168g and 180g VLD's. I am thinking Reloader 19, 22, what do you guys suggest as a starting point. I would appreciate any info available as there doesnt seem to be much on the net from a precision point of view.

Cheers,

Deane
Australia

John,

I have started to shoot in Canberra, but will be travelling in the NSW area.

Big 280AI fan, but for hunting. for 1000 yards and under target I like the 6's and 6.5's for 1000 yards and under hunting I think the 280Improved is an awesome round.

I was pushing it there, mate. That a little 155 grainer I was shooting in my F class gun. One day soon I'll get serious.

John, i was shooting a .308 at Canberra for my first attempt, my f std rig and with the new sierra 155 i shot a 15" and an 18" with score both in the mid 70's. The old .308 is a good round and my Maddco barrel is a real Hummer. It is built on a Barnard action but my new gun is on a "shinny" Bat action sporting a 10-60x March. Can't wait to pick her up. I look forward to come to the shooting games in the next few years.

I have used the .280 improved quite alot, a really good choice. in my Benchrest guns, I used Re22 and was able to load around 57 to 57.5 grains of the above powder, it would push the 180 grain vld Bergers at 2850fps in a 5r barrel. not at all unhappy with that choice. Good luck, Ron Tilley

Ron,

How did you find the accuracy, especially out to 1000y. I am looking to run the 168's and 180's. There is a few calibres i like but have been curious of the 280AI for a while now.

Ron,

How did you find the accuracy, especially out to 1000y. I am looking to run the 168's and 180's. There is a few calibres i like but have been curious of the 280AI for a while now.

Deano 29, mine have all been very accurate, I have never pushed them any harder than 2850fps with the 180 grainers, I think you probably will max out very near that. I was able to place at the NBRSA 1000 yard nationals in Reno NV shooting a range I never shot at before and it was the first match with that gun, I have since sold my BR guns and have only long range hunting rifles now but 3 of them are .280 improved. and I really like all three. Ron Tilley

Ron,

Thanks for the info i appreciate it greatly. I have run some figures through Quickload and im impressed with the desktop figures with the 168 Bergers so i think i will try both for sure. I watched your vid on accurate shooter and im curious of the 260AI now aswell ( think i need to stay off the net lol ).What were the details of your reamer if you dont mind me asking. I am of the opinion if someone finds something that works run with it, and i do like to go away from what everyone else is using and be a little different.

Regards,

Deane

Ron,

Thanks for the info i appreciate it greatly. I have run some figures through Quickload and im impressed with the desktop figures with the 168 Bergers so i think i will try both for sure. I watched your vid on accurate shooter and im curious of the 260AI now aswell ( think i need to stay off the net lol ).What were the details of your reamer if you dont mind me asking. I am of the opinion if someone finds something that works run with it, and i do like to go away from what everyone else is using and be a little different.

Regards,

Deane

Deane, mine is set up for Lapua .243 brass necked up, and a .292 neck throated for the 140 grain Berger vld bullets. Simple set up and its a Henrikson reamer. Very good quality. need anything else, do not hesitate. Ron Tilley

Thanks for the reply once again Ron, i am probably going to use Lapua 260 brass and the Berger 140s. I have read great things about the Henrikson reamers, i am curious do you have any contact details for him.

Regards,

Deane

Back