280 Ackley Improved for 1000 yard

G

GaCop

I'm in the process of building a 280AI on a Savage 110 action. While waiting for the barrel to get done, I've ordered my dies and Nosler AI brass (very nice stuff by the way). My initial loads will be with the 150, 168 and 175 grain SMK seated to 3.325" for starters until I can alter one of the Nosler cases to fit my Stony Point OAL guage. I've loaded a few test loads using RE-19 (only suitable powder I have at the moment) at 55.2 and 56.3 grains. My barrel will be 28" to gain a little more velocity and will be 1 in 8 twist for heavier bullets.

Anyone shooting the 280Ackley at long range that could give me some pointers?

280 Improved @ 1000 yds

Since nobody answered you, I will, however I don't have a 280 Improved but a fellow shooter uses one that has a 35 degree shoulder instead of the Ackley (40), proably not a whole lot of difference. He has been shooting very good groups (6 to 8") and scores in the 90s with H4350 and the Hornady 162 Amax.

280 Ackley

I don't have one yet........waiting on a barrel. There are two shooters at Williamsport that are shooting them now. Still playing with loads etc. Here's what I've gathered.
1. BC's are impressive with Berger's newest offerings- comparable to 210 VLD's
2. Excellent brass available from both Nosler and Norma.
3. Recoil is somewhere between the 6.5/284 and 30WSM- comfortable.
4, Both shooters are trying 162 AMAX with 56-58 grns R17 or H4350 or 180 Bergers with same powders between 54-56 grns.

Both shooters have won relays with the case at the range. I think the 280 ackley has great potential.

.280 ai

GaCop-I have a .280 AI which I dearly love and it is very accurate. It is a hunting rifle but we(friends) shoot friendly matches at 3-4 hundred yds at paper. This an exquisite cartridge that is hampered by one thing-quality match bullets in the proper weight. I shoot Sierra 140 GK in mine over 59g of H4350 very well. RE-22 is the runner-up. I truly believe if some one-Sierra perhaps-would produce a 140 something match grade as they do for the 6.5-.284, I believe one could claim some gold. V/R Greg

its a great 1k choice, I have one and had more, a good combo that has worked consistantly for me is, RE 22 around 55 to 57.5 grains with the 180 Berger VLD bullets.

Thanks fellas. I've sprung for some RE-22 for the 168 and 175 grain Sierra Match Kings and I've seated those to 3.330". The 175 grain SMK is one REAL long bullet! My barrel is in the mail, I'm hoping it will be here Friday or Saturday. If it comes then, I can barrel and headspace my Savage action so I can shoot Sunday on a Friend's 1000 yard range in south Georgia.

280 ai

Let us know how that powder bullet combo works.

Initial loadings were showing groups in the 3/4" range at 100 yards loaded in new Nosler brass. F/L sized the brass in the Lee die and loaded more test rounds with 162 grain A-Max and 168 Grain SMK's. Accuracy all of a sudden went south. Checked runout with my RCBS Load Master Gauge and F/L sized brass was showing .007 to .012" runout! Nosler unfired brass was showing less than .002". I then checked runout on seated bullets and this averaged between .005" and .009" Looks like I've got a bad set of dies. I've been having great luck with Lee collet dies so ordered a set of 280 Rem in hopes this will straighten out my neck concentricity problem. The collet die set also comes with a dead length seater die that should do a better job until I can afford a set of Redding comp dies. Am I on the right track or pi_ing in the wind.

I've been working up loads for a 280 AI built as a hunting rifle, using mostly AA3100 with bullets 168grs. and heavier. Not seeing the velocities I was hoping for out of a 26" bbl., and am considering trying RL17. It has given at least 100fps more with 175s & 180s than the other powders I've been using in my 284s. Anyone else tried RL17 in a 280 AI?

I'm not a big 7mm shooter, but seems to me that guys I talked with are shooting a 9" or 10" twist and using the 175 MK's???
Rich De

Narrowed down the poor neck runout to the Lee Full length die. I've since purchased a Lee collet die and Redding full length die. Nosler brass sized in the Lee F/L die was showing a runout of .005 to .008. Running it through the collet die didn't help any. Refired the brass and necks were back to .001-.002. Rechecked with collet die and was still at .001-.002. Got my Redding die yesterday and ran a few cases through that and checked runout........still .001-.002. Lee F/L die was the definite culprit. Best group to date with the 162 grain A-Max is in the .600" range. Next purchase will be the Redding comp seater die and a Sinclair 4000 neck turning kit.

Currently, the rifle sits in a B&C DuraMaxx stock. Rifle is very muzzle heavy in this stock (barrel is .850" at muzzle and is 28" long). I purchased a Boyd thumbhole laminate to add some weight on the bags but have to pillar and glass bed the stock before I can make the switch.

GaCop
What brand of barrel did you put on your gun?
Ted

Ordered the Barrel from Sinarms. He chambers, threads and crowns his barrels to whatever configuration you want. He cannot disclose the barrel maker as he gets the barrel blanks at a heavy discount but will say their from a well known maker. Devin Sinner (owner) is a sponsor on Savage Shooter Forum and is known for producing accurate barrels.

280 ack

just got a line from customer i built 280 ack . using 168 smk .020 tho. jump for 100 to 300 yds. targets . out to 500yd and 600yds . using hornady amax 162 seem more accurate . mid to high 2.0's shot 1.250 at 500yds. 4350 imr powder won't share charge amount . i would think it is on the upper end . that was a 1-9 twist but if i had it to do all over again i would go 1-8 twist . hope this helps . mike

Have you seen problems with the 1:9 in 7mm? All three of my 284 Win bbls. are 1:9, and give excellent results with Berger or JLK 180VLDs at 1000yds. Bryan Litz's ballistics program includes the ability to solve for stability factor, and gives a factor of 1.48 for the 180VLD at 2900fps out of a 1:9 tw. bbl. That's a good margin above a theoretical factor of 1.0 that should provide adequate stability.

Back