260 rem. model 7

T

Tom C.

i picked up this gun a couple of years ago it's
the older one with the shorter 18 1/2" barrel.
i remember seeing something recently where
someone said the older shorter ones had a slower
twist barrel and wouldn't stabilize heavier bullets
as well. anyone know anything about this and
any starting loads would be greatly appreciated.
i looked around some on the net and really couldn't
find any good info i know it's not a br gun but any
helps appreciated. thanks tom

My understanding of this is that the first 260's did indeed have too slow of a twist rate. The problem was that they would not shoot the factory 140gr. ammo. I had one and can say without a doubt, it was the worst shooting gun I ever owned. Now, all you have to do is load up some Win. 760 behind some Nosler Bal. Tips, 100gr. or 120gr., and I think you will find that it has acceptable accuracy.Look in the Nosler manual for load info. Another note I can share about the factory ammo is that it shot about 2500fps out of my gun. More velocity and I think the stabilization problem may not have been so bad. Hope this helps.
James

260 rem model 7

i asked about this in the centerfire forum earlier and was told
to try here. i have an older model 7 in 260 cal. with the 18 1/2"
barrel somewhere i read something about the older ones had
too slow a rate of twist to stabilize heavier bullets. any knowledge
about this gun and starting loads would help. would the 85 gn sierra's
work in this gun.

wilbur? did you move that post

it was in the centerfire forum

I picked up this rifle for my son for PA deer hunting a few years back and it quickly became my favorite deer rifle in the safe; light, good looking, fun to shoot and deadly. I never had issues with the 140gr factories that I shot, but I use 120 ballistic tips very successfully. It's not a benchrest rifile, but it's dropped a number of deer very efficiently.

This and a certain favored 257 Roberts have made me rethink my definition of a perfect eastern whitetail rifle.

I ordered a Remington M700 BDL when Remington 1st announced they were introducing the 260 cartridge in, as I recall, 1996. The rifle came with a 1/9" twist the same as they have today in the M7. I doubt they offered different twists in their various models.

came out to a 1-10

guess i might as well get rid of the heavier bullets.

Back