250-25X guns, equipment, Chet Amick P.S. article.

I agree with you and thanks

I will be Flamed and critisized for this but will speak my mind anyway.

It seems to me that the family is doing more harm than good to Chet Amicks Legend and extraordinary accomplishments by posting here and demanding extreme privacy re Chets rimfire accomplishments.

First off no-one today cares about using Amick rifles or barrels, the best shooters are using Turbo’s, Falcons, 2500X’s, XIII’s and on and on…not Amick guns.

Chet’s accomplishments are recognized by those that knew him and shot with him, he was a great man.

In the final analysis it was mostly Chet’s shooting skills and ability to interpret wind conditions and Ammo selection that drove him to his Perfect 250-25X targets.

Chet was a perfectionist and proved it with his BR Rimfire exploits.

Enough said.

THE secrets of the houston warehouse are not secrets anymore, and good old chet is gone and we are just trying to remember some of the things he did,

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT IF THEY WERE NOT SHOT IN COMPETITION AND EVEN IF THEY WERE,

there is not a great rush to learn his trade secrets, the new method of tuning a tuner and the great gunsmiths we have with the great actions and barels,

again with all due respect Chets stuff is merely for historical purposes, like so many of the rimfire reamers

no harm intended just trying to let the family know nobody is trying to steal secrets or get rich information for nothing,

give it a rest, the real benchrest community would pay ofr the information should it be deemed of any value, perhaps they should offer it for sale and see what the bids are,

not trying to be smart but it sounds like they think it is worth lots of money and we are trying to steal stuff,

we are not

we would like to recognize him for his talents, but if we do not know what they were and how he got there they may be lost forever and we will pursue other avenues that seem just as good

respectfully submitted

Jefferson

I don't guess it will be answered Mike as I would like to know myself!!

It still hasn't been answered publicly my question that were the 25-X targets shot under competitive conditions or were they shot practicing?And I would like to add to the question were Chets legacy rifles ever used during championship tournaments and how did they fare?These questions are asked not trying to infer anything but merely to find out information that is not known by myself.We all know how todays gunsmiths rifles can shoot and their records as far as that goes but it would be very interesting to compare Chets rifles to todays.How about it Don Stith I think you have one of Chets rifles how does it stack up?
MC
It will never be answered looks like as I would like to know myself!! How long did he shoot and build rifles to? He would have shared some of his secrets later on like some of the other older smiths are doing!! This day and time they are to many folks out there hunting a way to make a dollar to!!! I'm not doing that as I've a gunsmith for over 25 years. I want to learn all I can about these 22 rimfire rifles?
Rambo

Mike,

I didn't really know Chet, only met him a couple times. Seemed like a real gentleman. As I recall, he shot those perfect targets at a local club match. I guess you could say it was a competition although, not a sanctioned match.

Ken Henderson

Bolero
Thanks for posting the "rememberences"
I believe Chets 25X's were shot at the weekly club matches at a range in Cumberland MD . There were enough Doubting Thomases at the time that they had the range surveyed to verify the 50 yards was accurate.
I have a Sako Finnfire that he barrelled. I never had a high x- count with that rifle but shot many 250's in matches. At that time you were not seeing the18 and above x-counts that are almost common now. One notable piece was a friends ULA that Chet built. He was just getting started in 22BR and on his first visits to matches at Luray he shot several targets with 19 and 20 X's
Don't know how it worked out, but one of the barrel makers Chet worked with had a contract to provide barrels for the Olympic team. He asked Chet to do the lapping on those barrels. Perhaps some of the other friends of Chet will know more about that

Here is some past info from some of the best Rimfire shooters in USA at the time.
Well worth reading.

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-49251.html

After reviewing the many positive comments on Chet's accomplishments, it would appear that his self taught skill at lapping .22 rimfire barrels, was the primary reason his barrels shot so accurately. Lapping various brands of barrels, to his skill level "is an art" that may never be duplicated.

As for the chamber reamers and the unthreaded barrel shanks, I doubt that either made a significant difference in superior accuracy. The 1.5 degree lead and straight wall .225" chamber are common ... I believe the Eley EPS reamer is very close to those dimensions.

After reviewing the many positive comments on Chet's accomplishments, it would appear that his self taught skill at lapping .22 rimfire barrels, was the primary reason his barrels shot so accurately. Lapping various brands of barrels, to his skill level "is an art" that may never be duplicated.

As for the chamber reamers and the unthreaded barrel shanks, I doubt that either made a significant difference in superior accuracy. The 1.5 degree lead and straight wall .225" chamber are common ... I believe the Eley EPS reamer is very close to those dimensions.

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-49251.html

Very good read, thanks for the link.

Last edited:
There are club matches and there are club matches. The matches that Chet shot were typically shot with some of the toughest shooters in the nation at the time. The usual attendee's were guys like Bob Holbrunner, Paul Wilmouth, to name a couple. Heavy on the HOF points.
Chet loved to shoot, wasn't particularly fond of sanctioning, etc. From anything I saw or heard from him, he really could care less about attention just advancing his learning.
Harry Deneen thought so highly of him that when Chester was testing, Harry would often set up a spotting scope behind his bench and just watch, sometimes for the day.

Last edited:
But it is a comment that needs some explaination because in my experience it is totally not true, My personal Suhl is threaded and it doesn't have a "stressed" chamber and as far as I know(maybe someone can give us some info) there haven't been one of these press fit barrels that have won any major championships that I have heard of(maybe someone can educate me and I admit my own knowledge is very limited) as a mater of fact the only real challenge I have seen was when the euros brought all their press fit rifles over here in 2011 for the world tournament and they didn't win a smell of a medal.So tell me Steve( I am simply asking) what is the misunderstanding here? You would think that if the press fit was in any way superior it would be used but it just isn't.Now please don't take anything I am asking here personal or as aggressive it is not intended that way at all I am just trying to get useful info.
MC

I would say, and my opinion only, your experience is , for lack of a better term, limited as to assembly. It is that and frankly, since you shoot the gun and I believe, did not build the gun, relegated to some guesswork.
Secondly,why would it be assumed absolute results would be implied, no such suggestion was made by me.
I believe the gentleman was of the opinion there was greater potential for error.
As Steve mentioned, ate we to believe some of the greatest machinists, and metallurgists on the planet, designed and produced some of the worlds best performing 22's and couldn't find a proper threading tool?
Oh, by the way, Grunnig and Elmer guns running to five figures seem to have a floating, non- threaded, tenon, utilizing 21st century design and development. Is this simple coincidence?
I suspect something is going on that we might not be paying as much attention to as we might.

Back