25-06 rebarreled Remington

Need a little help. I took my old Remington 700 and had Hart install a new barrel chambered for 25-06 SAMI.
Bought a Wilson neck sizing die for factory brass.
Bought a gismo from Hornady to put on my dial caliper to measure head to Datum.
Fired brass is right on the money as far as the head to Datum length.

The problem:
After 10 firings the brass is tight going into the chamber.
Bring out the trusty RCBS full length resizing dies.
Size the trimmed to length brass and the head to Datum length lengthens.
Extremely difficult to chamber.
Went to a Texan shell holder which is about .200" less in height no change
still very tight into the chamber.
Sent dies to RCBS. They declare the dies are perfect.
They suggest lowering the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn past touching the shellholder.
Since I have come down an extra .200" and the case is not flowing up into the sizing die I think the brass case is too hard and needs annealing or needs to be pitched. :)
Any comments would be appreciated.
Centerfire

order a redding s-type bushing FLS die, bump the shoulder back .001-.002 and keep shooting

the wind is my friend

DD

techniques

Need a little help. I took my old Remington 700 and had Hart install a new barrel chambered for 25-06 SAMI.
Bought a Wilson neck sizing die for factory brass.
Bought a gismo from Hornady to put on my dial caliper to measure head to Datum.
Fired brass is right on the money as far as the head to Datum length.

The problem:
After 10 firings the brass is tight going into the chamber.
Bring out the trusty RCBS full length resizing dies.
Size the trimmed to length brass and the head to Datum length lengthens.
Extremely difficult to chamber.
Went to a Texan shell holder which is about .200" less in height no change
still very tight into the chamber.
Sent dies to RCBS. They declare the dies are perfect.
They suggest lowering the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn past touching the shellholder.
Since I have come down an extra .200" and the case is not flowing up into the sizing die I think the brass case is too hard and needs annealing or needs to be pitched. :)
Any comments would be appreciated.
Centerfire

I own 2 rifles in 25.06 and have not run into your problem, but do have some suggestions.

1. You state that you bought a texan shell holder which is .2 shorter than the standard. This could be going the wrong way, most of my hard chambering problems have resulted in too long of brass, or my dies not going down far enough towards the base, and by going shorter you may have actually caused the dies to not resize the case far enough down, and leaving a bulge on the base of the case.

2. I think you also have your trimming and resizing out of sequence. All the manuals and info I have resize the cases then trim, as the full length resizing will stretch the case, which is why neck sizing doesnt work the brass as much and extends case life. Try sizing your cases with the full length resizer set as RCBS recommends, then trim , deburr and chamfer.

3. Take a couple of pieces of this brass, seat your bullet to the desired depth and try chambering, if its still tight lower the sizer die a little and try again.

4. The other problem you might be having is that the case necks are getting too thick.

Either way I would try this route before spending the money on new dies , as the ones suggested you also have to order bushings, and they get rather pricey.

Last in my experience with this caliber in the last 25 years of owning one and reloading for it I consider 10 to 12 reloads to be about the max, after that I start getting split necks on resizing.

Hope this helps

DR

Back