.223 throat and leade dimensions

H

henrya

Howdy Gents,

I'm thinking of having a .223 reamer made with slightly different throat and leade dimensions. This is for shooting 50-55 grain bullets. Looking at a SAAMI print I see a .025" long throat and a 3 degree 10 minute leade. I'm thinking of going to a 1 degree 30 minute leade and maybe shortening the throat to about .10". Comments and suggestions please.

Howdy Gents,

I'm thinking of having a .223 reamer made with slightly different throat and leade dimensions. This is for shooting 50-55 grain bullets. Looking at a SAAMI print I see a .025" long throat and a 3 degree 10 minute leade. I'm thinking of going to a 1 degree 30 minute leade and maybe shortening the throat to about .10". Comments and suggestions please.

Looks like you have lengthened the throat by going from .025" to .10", which is the wrong direction I believe.........now if you made a typo error and really meant .010", I would say that is about right for a 50-55gr at 1.5 degree leade angle...................may be why you were not getting any feedback............Don

Pesky little zeros.
Yes, I mean .010 - thanks for the correction.

what kind of gun ?
the simple answer is to load a 50 in a case, as deep as looks correct, and then see if a 55 will seat teh same with no bullet below the neck.....
find a happy middle point...send both loaded rounds to the grinder and say please match these with a lovely 1.5 angle, and......
happiness folows....
i didi my own measurements on my first reamer and ended up with too long of a throat, tho a bunch shorter than saami specs......
my 52's ended up about 40thou longer than i wanted....
moral of the story...send them dummy rounds!
mike in co

Back