222 vs 223

I argued for a 6PPC because there are tons of used 6's around at good prices. I'd hate to build a custom rifle for a game that I hadn't shot to any degree. Used, competitive 222s are, from my observation, rare as hen's teeth. I've been keeping my eyes open for one for my daughter.

Don't make this complicated. 6BR with Lapua brass or 6PPC with the Norma brass. Either is pretty easy. Set him up for no turn necks, work up a mild load and rock on.

Addendum: maybe a 22 Beggs no turn. If he's comfortable necking up, a 6 Beggs.

Greg J

I am having a 6 Beggs chambered to try this season. Pretty hard to beat it I am thinking. I would also consider a .22 Beggs without hesitation.

Pete

The chap had a 222 as a kid and remembers it.

Build him a nice 222 and let the memories roll; the 222 will bring back good memories and warm his heart like no other will.

And the 222 ain't no slouch in the accuracy department either.

Jim
I agree, let him relive his youth. The .222 will be like an old friend.

.222 vs. 223

It's all about that long, lovely neck.
The .222 is just more esoteric to work with. Same reason woodworkers prefer cherry over oak.The Deuce is beautiful to look at and beautiful to work with. Some reloaders savor the moment, some reloaders just want to go "Boom".

The best thing you could do for your friend is set it up for him and give him a slight educadion on it,,it's the right thing to do..then if he gets into to it he could have a 6ppc barrel set up..

I'm right with Mark on this, Skeet.. The Mentoring thing...

He could still.........

Get a .223 Bolt face action for this family of cartridge and turn PPC rims down on your lathe.... Shoot both family of cartriges with little fuss.

Still, a dedicated PPC BF gun would be the best option IMOP... Have a 6PPC 1-14" and 22PPC with a faster twist and this shooting companion would be PLEASED as punch by shooting CIRCLES around any .223..!

cale

One thing to think about: Russ Haydon surprised me with an added bonus feature when I bought the BAT action on my 222. By simply replacing the barrel, you can convert it to any member of the family based on that cartridge including the 223. By replacing the bolt body and barrel, you can convert it to a 30 BR, 6 PPC or whatever. Russ says, shooters change barrels on the bench at matches all the time, so it isn't rocket science.

The point is you need not be stuck with a particular cartridge if you decide nothing other than a 6 PPC will do.

There are actions that will extract and eject both PPC and BR cases. Swapping from a 222 to anything on the "short/fat" cases is going to require a new bolt. I have a quote in hand to do something similar and it's over $700.

Greg J.

There are actions that will extract and eject both PPC and BR cases. Swapping from a 222 to anything on the "short/fat" cases is going to require a new bolt. I have a quote in hand to do something similar and it's over $700.

Greg J.

I cannot comment on the cost that you might need to pay any particular gunsmith to make such a conversion. I did mention the bolt and barrel swaps needed to convert to say a 6 PPC. Even $700 would be a lot less than the cost of a new rifle if you decided to change a BAT 222 to a 30 or a 6.

I can not argue with anything posted but . I have shot Rifles for a long time both hunting and on paper . I just retired from over 40 years of registerd trap shooting . If I shot competition bunchrest I would be right back to the same BS I just got out of . So I will shoot at home on my range no driving no one to wait on and no set time to be there . I will be shooting a new 223 that I just built and have not shot yet . Around Indiana I,m not sure how far I would need to drive to find a place to shot competition (I,s not a big sport ) . For me it,s a fun thing .

I can not argue with anything posted but . I have shot Rifles for a long time both hunting and on paper . I just retired from over 40 years of registerd trap shooting . If I shot competition benchrest I would be right back to the same BS I just got out of . So I will shoot at home on my range no driving no one to wait on and no set time to be there . I will be shooting a new 223 that I just built and have not shot yet . Around Indiana I,m not sure how far I would need to drive to find a place to shot competition (I,s not a big sport ) . For me it,s a fun thing .

I rather agree with the tone of this post. I did not buy rifles to prove to anyone how great a shot I am. I bought them to enjoy the acts of shooting and load development. I rather enjoy my new club (Tacoma R&R) because I frequently have the range to myself. I also like the fact that the rimfire range is far enough away from the centerfire range to make shooting my rimfire rifles a relaxed experience. Whether or not I will ever compete with others is still undecided. I have my own best ever results to compete with. For now, that is enough.

I in no way am saying competition Benchrest is not a fun sport just not for me at this point in my life .
I also know the 223 is not close to the 6PPC I don,t really care . If I change my mind down the road ok .
i,m sure people also said at one time nothing will ever replace the 222 ? The question will be what will replace the 6PPC ????????????

I in no way am saying competition Benchrest is not a fun sport just not for me at this point in my life .
I also know the 223 is not close to the 6PPC I don,t really care . If I change my mind down the road ok .
i,m sure people also said at one time nothing will ever replace the 222 ? The question will be what will replace the 6PPC ????????????

I did not mean to suggest that competition benchrest shootin is not a valid and fun sport. I am undecided as to my future plans in that arena.
When the next great cartridge comes along and the serious competitors want to throw their 6 PPC and 22 PPC rifles away I would be happy to take one of each off their hands for my small collection of obsolete rifles. I made that offer in another post and it still stands. I went with 222 only for the reasons I listed in my earlier post.

Slowshot No problem .
I think any shooting is better then no shooting .
I built a range and my son and I use it a lot . He is a hunter and in the fall he shoots a lot .
I,m to old and frail to hunt so I shoot ( a lot) .

My range is open to anyone that injoys shooting . I have benches at 50-100-and 200 yards.
All I ask is be safe and clean up your mess .

Back