222 remington

B

bullzeye

can anyone give me benchrest load data for the 222 REM.
i will be using winchester brass for now but would like recommendations for
powder, bullet and primers.
for now i will use this as my start in benchrest shooting. eventually will get
a proper bench rifle in 6 PPC. thanks for any help i get.

You have a 14 twist .22 barrel.... Then.

H4198, VV130, H322, H335, AA2230...
Any custom 52gr .22 bullet.... Berger, Cheeks, Barts..etc.
The 52gr Sierras are pretty salty... But the custom bullets agg..!
Fed 205's
good luck,
cale

The H4895 mentioned is definetly a great choice. I have also found extreme accuracy in the 222 using IMR4320. Use around 24.5 gr and work up.

Michael

222 Rem. loads

bullzeye: My most accurate and consistant load for both of my 222s' ( 1-14) is 22.2 grs. of H322, with any quality 50 thru 53 gr. bullet, seated .020" off the lands ( required in both), Lapua brass, 205 ( not match) primers. This is also the recommended accuracy load as suggested by Hodgdon on their can label. Tried the traditional loads with H4198, and while very good, I always return to the H322 combo. 1/2 moa,with 5 shot groups at 200 yd is common, and have never lost a G'hog up to 250 yds, my limit.:)

Re 7 is also a very good powder with the 52-53 gr match bullets.

occassionally...............

..............use one with Rem. 700 hv 14 twist for IBS score matches (100 yd)

22.5 gr/h4198 /52 gr. Barts (from Sinclair)/ Rem. 7-1/2 primers/ Lapua brass
with 0.020 jump
VV133 also has been good for this rifle

An absolute pleasure to shoot, but requires flag reading beyond my current capabilities...............best match to-date-250-15x

Note-the h4198 is from a 2007 lot

Hfv

Been a little while since I shot the .222, But Ramshot "Exterminator", Ramshot "Tac" and the "fast lot of IMR 8208 w/loads starting @ weight same as weights of "data on H322 canister, produced very good groups @100 yd. W/Messer built XP 100.

Forgot to include, I was using Federal Match brass & Federal 205 and Winchester Small Rifle primers.

I read that VV 130 is also a good powder but understand that it has been discontinued for some reason. I contacted some of the usual sources, Graf, etc., but they were out of 130. I have also read that V133 is a good performer in the .222. Has anyone come up with a good load for that powder that they would like to pass along?

Since I use VV133 in my ppc lv

..........I also used it it my Rem. 700 HV 222 :22.5 gr/vv133/2005 lot/ rem.9-1/2/ 52gr. Barts/ .020 jump/ Lapua case

On a calm day it shoots "as good as" my ppc Bat. However calm days never seem to coincide with "match" days.

thanks for all the info. this is the same calibre as my sleeved remington and i have been trying to work up some decent loads. what is the best weight and bullet for accuracy? lenH

My benchrest load for my .222 bench gun is 24.5 grains of ww 748,52 grain ZIA bullet,fed 205 m primer and norma brass.
My chamber is a .246 neck, Hart Barrel,xp-100 sction,Jewell trigger,kelby stock glued in action

I am shooting a BAT action bench rifle in 222 Remington and a Ruger No. 1 in 222 Remington. I am using two different powders. For loading on the bench, I use Winchester 748. That is because it is a ball powder that flows smoothly in my Redding #3BR powder measure. For loading general practice loads at home, I am using H-322, with a beam balance.

The Ruger is right now being re-barreled to make it a 1V, so I have no load data for it.

For my BAT rifle, my best accuracy load has been 22.2 gr. of H-322, with a Berger 52 gr. FB and a Remington 7 1/2 BR primer in Lapua brass.

Of course, this load is specific to my rifle and the usually soggy cool conditions that are normal in the NW, where I live.

While the 222 Rem has been overtaken by the 6 PPC and 22 PPC in short range BR, it is still an exceptionally accurate 100-200 yard cartridge. It held the 100 yard smallest 5-shot group record for over 45 years. The record was broken only recently and that was by a wildcat, not any of the PPCs. I believe you could compete with your 222, as long as you do not plan on frequently taking home any trophies. But then, as a newbie to BR competition, you will be competing against experienced hand loaders and shooters who will be pretty hard to beat anyhow, until you gain a similar level of experience.

Here are a couple of targets I shot with my BAT 222. While neither of these targets would win me any trophies, they are a good start:

Here is the Rifle:

Last edited:
Keep em out of that black box slowshot. Cant see bullet holes. Thatll help a bunch

I can easily see the bullet holes form with my scope, even in the black. When I first looked at the 100 yard target, I asked Russ Haydon what the box is for. Russ said that is a helpful tool for achieving accuracy. He suggested lining up my crosshairs on any corner of the box and don't worry where the group forms, as long as it is not touching the corner where I line up the crosshairs. The .211" group was shot with the crosshairs lined up to the outside edge of the upper right corner. I had the scope set to make groups near the center of where the crosshairs point.

Before I shot the .220" group, I moved the crosshairs to allow me to still line up using the box, while the actual group forms at the center of the black circle. I find using a corner of the black box as the place to point my crosshairs, while the group forms at the center of the black circle allows greater precision. For one thing, the bullet holes do not obscure the aim point. For another, it gives easy to see horizontal and vertical lines for precise alignment of the crosshairs.

My issues with precise accuracy are a mainly due to my poor wind reading skills and lack of experience. Having started shooting at 60 years of age, I do not have the years of load development and shooting experience, the steady hands or the sharp eyesight that are the mark of the champion shooter. Several championship quality shooters that I have meet over the past few years have said they are getting out of competition, due to failing eyesight and other physical decline issues. These are guys my age or even the age I was when I started shooting.

Don't take this as whining. I really enjoy competing against myself and friends and to shoot more accurately every time I go to the range. I also have been enjoying trying different rifles, scopes and other shooting gear. With an arbor press and Wilson hand dies, I also enjoy load development as it's own hobby. This summer, Russ, Kimberly and I have been doing most of our shooting at gravel pits and such in the Olympic mountains. We set up a canopy, build a fire, burn hot dogs and shoot at biodegradable targets at unmeasured distances. Because I cannot hold up a rifle, I have begun using a Cadwell Dead Shot Field Pod. This allows me to shoot on uneven ground while sitting in a folding chair or kneeling. This is the final tool I needed to complete my shooting gear. I am having more fun than ever.

I believe 222 Remington is the perfect cartridge for a shooter new to BR shooting to use, while learning bench setup and load development. It is inexpensive to load and very accurate. The fact that the BAT action rifle can later be converted to more competitive cartridges, such as 6 PPC by simply replacing the barrel and the bolt also makes it a good choice for the newbie, BR shooter. I have been looking into turning my BAT rifle into a 6 BR. OK, I confess, I already ordered the bolt. :D

Last edited:
Let's talk about that aiming point for a moment. You really need to aim near the place your group forms. Try aiming at the bottom center of the mothball and have your group form at the top. A skosh here and there of aiming error is nothing (absolutely nothing) compared to what the wind will do to your group. Figuring out where to hold is what wins and if you can't do it very, very fast you're diminished to some degree. So what if the wind blows a shot into your aiming point. That it's now "gone" doesn't matter much because you know where it was...and...if you can't figure out where to aim you're already beat anyway!!!

Very good thread.
I,am also going to convert a pre 1970 Rem. 700 .222 Varminter Special for BR use. Hopefully in factory class. I to was looking for load info. Any info on "Free Bore"? If I have it rechambered.
When I got it in 1968. I visited several BR matches in western Conn. Back then Most of the shooters used .222's using Ball-C2 powder. I,am kind of curious why this powder has not been mentioned. Back in the day I thought it was the BR Powder of choice.

Ben

Back