222 rem

I think most factory guns are 1 in 14". These will handle 55 grain bullets fine with the possible exception of the longer plastic-tipped 55 grain bullets. I have a very old Sako that's 1 in 16". Never tried 55s in that one. I seldom shoot anything but Sierra 50 grain bullets in any of my .222s. The difference in accuracy between the Sierra 50 and the Sierra 55 is very small with the slight advantage going to the 50s. A 1 in 12" twist may do a little better with the heavier bullet.

Fourteen inch twist has been the standard for the 222 from day one. The heaviest bullet these guns will shoot accurately, I have found, is the sierra 63 grain semi point. These bullets are shorter than other 60 grain bullets which is the reason they stabilize well in 14" twist. Years ago I put togather a 222 with a 15" twist Douglas barrel for 40 gr. bullets and it turned out to be one of my best varmint guns. Never shot any heavier bullets in it although I think it would have done well with 50 grainers. I'm sure 14 twist would have worked just as good but I think the 15"gave me a little more velocity. Probably damn little!

Fourteen inch twist has been the standard for the 222 from day one. The heaviest bullet these guns will shoot accurately, I have found, is the sierra 63 grain semi point. These bullets are shorter than other 60 grain bullets which is the reason they stabilize well in 14" twist. Years ago I put togather a 222 with a 15" twist Douglas barrel for 40 gr. bullets and it turned out to be one of my best varmint guns. Never shot any heavier bullets in it although I think it would have done well with 50 grainers. I'm sure 14 twist would have worked just as good but I think the 15"gave me a little more velocity. Probably damn little!

Forgot to mention that it's the length of the bullet not it's weight that determine it's stability. That is why the 63 gr. Sierra performs better than some 55 and 60 gr. bullets.

Back