22 Waldog

sofarfrome

I am embarking on the new adventure of shooting the 22 Waldog, 0.125" short. I have been reading everything I can find on here and other sites. Most of the info is several years old. I am curious if anyone has been shooting this case design with any of the new powders. I have some great bullets and 200 Ron Hoehn prepped cases. Ron fit a new Bartlein barrel to my Hall S action and I am excited to get going once I fireform some of these cases. I also have a good supply of 133 and IMR-8208-XBR. After seeing how these lots perform in my 6PPC I am thinking I want to go with a faster powder. VV-130 is impossible to find so I am leaning toward LT30, H4198, or Norma 200. Oddly enough during my reading someone mentioned to stay away from the 4198s with no explanation why. Any input from people here will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Jay

This is just a bothersome post and I shouldn't even write it but I tried some 4198 short cut once upon a time and I thought I was onto something. Turns out that when the temperature increased over the day I couldn't crank my powder drop down fast enough. I was going two or three clicks when I should have used turns.

This is just a bothersome post and I shouldn't even write it but I tried some 4198 short cut once upon a time and I thought I was onto something. Turns out that when the temperature increased over the day I couldn't crank my powder drop down fast enough. I was going two or three clicks when I should have used turns.

I certainly do not feel your post is bothersome, I hope my original post is not also, but your info on how fast the pressure rises throughout the course of a day due to temperature change is valuable information to me.

Thanks,

Jay

Mike Ratigan had good results from N133 in his 22 PPC .100 short. He wrote that N130 was not grouping well, so he tried 133.

Mike Ratigan had good results from N133 in his 22 PPC .100 short. He wrote that N130 was not grouping well, so he tried 133.

I have a lot of recent 133. I will be trying that too. I am going to assume that between the LT-30, LT-32, N133, and IMR-8208-XBR I will find something that works. I also have some old AA2015 and Thunderbird 8208. I will get there. I am probably holdng my hand over my arse wishing the LT-30 to do the trick. We shall see. Thanks for all of the info so far.

FWIW...I also have a significant amount of OLD H4895 that seems to be "fast burning." I used it in an older 6MM BR x 0.100" short built by Jim Stekl that literally shot bug holes that I will try too. I shot 5 successive targets in practice with this powder/case combo with some Hollister 68gr BTs that resulted in a 0.185" agg. Probably too slow for the Waldog but who knows?

I shot a .22 Waldog for several barrels and years. Hard to beat at 100 yards, but for today's competition, a little light at 200 yards. For a true Waldog, N133 is too slow, you'll need N130 or H322 extreme. The .100 short .22 PPC is probably a better overall choice than the Waldog. 3400 fps is about max in the waldog, where 3500 plus is possible in the .100 short with the same accuracy and better case life.

I switched from the Waldog to a .200 short 22 BR. It's more like a .090 short PPC. With the right sizer die, cases last a long time, although case forming is a bit of a chore. I applaud your willingness to try and be different, instead of just getting on the 6 PPC road like most others.

JIm

I shot a .22 Waldog for several barrels and years. Hard to beat at 100 yards, but for today's competition, a little light at 200 yards. For a true Waldog, N133 is too slow, you'll need N130 or H322 extreme. The .100 short .22 PPC is probably a better overall choice than the Waldog. 3400 fps is about max in the waldog, where 3500 plus is possible in the .100 short with the same accuracy and better case life.

I switched from the Waldog to a .200 short 22 BR. It's more like a .090 short PPC. With the right sizer die, cases last a long time, although case forming is a bit of a chore. I applaud your willingness to try and be different, instead of just getting on the 6 PPC road like most others.

JIm

I have several 6PPC barrels and all shoot well, a couple better than the others. However, I have always had a fondness for the 22s. The best groups I ever shot at 200yds were with a FL 22PPC in a Hart 1:15 barrel. I could load the case with 31gr of a fast burning H4895 I had at the time and man did that thing shoot. PV has the VV-130 in stock again so I am going to try that along with the LT30 and see where I end up.

Back