22 nosler

has any one necked this down to 6 mm yet.
gary b

Wouldn't i't be about the same as a 6mm Grendal with a 223 bolt face.?

The drawback to this case is the 223 (.375) bolt face. It was designed to be compatable with a standard AR Platform. There are very few Benchrest Rifles delibertly built with this bolt face.

If you have a Remington 700 in 222 or 223, you could rebarrel it to this case necked up to 6mm.

Last edited:
Why go to .the 22 nosler?

All the data I've seen on this cartridge indicates it has almost the same velocity and accuracy with similar bullet weights as the .223/5.56 with an 8 twist barrel.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/22-nosler/
see tabs for each bullet
Max loads are probably for bolt guns, not ar15's

ARs do not have different Max load specs than bolt guns. I see your point from looking at the load data, which specifies a 24" test barrel. Nosler claims on their blog that factory 22 Nosler will produce 3350 fps in an 18" AR and 3500 fps from a 24" barrel with the 55 grain load and 2950 / 3100 fps respectively with the 77 grain load. Nosler's load data for .223 with the 55 grain bullet shows the fastest load of about 3300 fps with 25 grains of Benchmark from a 24" barrel. No Nosler load data for the 77 grain.

Without being able to draw an exact comparison because the .223 loads with the 55 grain bullets are from a 12 twist barrel and all the 22 Nosler loads are from an 8 twist, I see this cartridge as somewhere in between the .223 and the 22-250. I don't see any benefit from it in a bolt gun, but it may catch on with the AR crowd if it proves to be as accurate as the 223 when loaded with the long heavy bullets.

Late Edit: I might need to walk the statement about max loads back a bit. Some shooters using custom actioned bolt rifles with small firing pins get away with .223 loads that are far hotter than SAAMMI pressures. Obviously loads like that would be asking for trouble in any gas operated semi auto. One also needs to be mindful of the gas port pressure for AR-15, so some loads especially with slower powders and heavy bullets can cause issues.

Last edited:
Capacity

I have a LV haverkamp actioned rifle with .223 bolt face and I have an extra .223 bolt for my Bat actioned rail gun. So if a person was to get a reamer for a 24/22 Nosler, what approximate capacity would you end up with? Anyone know the neck thickness of the brass?

Tim

so neck up to 6 , will it compete against a 6ppc at 100/200 or a 6br at 600.
in a std form with a 52 match bullet in a 14/15 twist will it compete against a
22 ppc at 100/200 ??

notice the load data is for a 24" bbl and the uppers is 18"
i'd like to see a 24" target in this,
maybe necked up to 6mm too

Back