I agree, but unless the Tennessee law has changed, you can't hunt deer with any .22 here. You can hunt deer with a .357 pistol but not a .22 anything.

I agree, but unless the Tennessee law has changed, you can't hunt deer with any .22 here. You can hunt deer with a .357 pistol but not a .22 anything.

Up until several years ago, the state managed shooting ranges in GA did not allow any centerfire gun .50 cal or larger. I thought that was a stupid rule, given that a .460 Weatherby was okay to shoot, and I wanted to shoot my .50 cal handgun. I was able to get the rule changed to where my .50 cal handgun was okay to shoot. Sounds like someone needs to be talking to the bureaucrats in TN.

You are probably right. Your deer are most likely larger than our white tailed deer. I haven't hunted in years but that ultra high velocity 22-250 was a one shot killer on all the deer I shot with mine.

A 22-250 will kill a whitetail deer as quickly as a "400 Loudenboomer"...if not more quickly.

Tennessee law changed quite a few years ago. .22 is definitely legal and IIRC, any centerfire. I have killed more than 40 whitetails with a .224 cal.

Rick

You were kinda generous with that post Rick....you could have written dumbass or worse.....

You were kinda generous with that post Rick....you could have written dumbass or worse.....

Ah well, most people don't even know about the change. It's mostly us geezers who hate recoil and are much more interested in putting the deer on the ground than making as much smoke and noise as possible. With over 40 I've failed to put one down only once. I thought I had made a solid neck shot because of the buck's position in tall weeds. Turned out I only hit enough to know him down and stun him. In a couple of minutes he was up and away with almost no blood trail and that was gone in 50 yards. All the rest have been DRT. I shoot a 5.6x50 AI, Speer 55 gr Bonded Bear Claw in an Encore carbine. Ballistics are similar to a 22.250, just a little slower, but I don't think the white tails can tell the difference. I hate heart/lung shots. All they do is give you a deer to track, maybe. Head/neck shots are DRT. Just go where they were standing and look down.

Rant mode off

Rick

Tennessee law changed quite a few years ago. .22 is definitely legal and IIRC, any centerfire. I have killed more than 40 whitetails with a .224 cal.

Rick

Have to agree 100% with Rick. Several years ago I loaded some 70gr Sierra for my 11year old granddaughter in a 222Mag, never saw a lung shot deer ever take more than 1 step. Never shot any over 200yd though. Another deadly bullet is the 30cal 118gr bench rest, at least at short range

Rick

Back in the 1970's when we started shooting biggies like 35 Remington and such in IHMSA Louis Millhorn got elected to the TWRA BOD and changed a bunch of legal rifle and pistol cartridges to be based on energy.

deer

In Mo. its a centerfire. My buddy took a .17 Remington and shot a doe and never found her. That little 25 gr. bullet just aint enough even at 4000 fps. My dad used to hunt with a swift he said 150 yds. it was like lightning. He quit the swift after he had to shoot one 5 times and run him down. It just depends on what he grabs when he leaves the house now. Anything from a 243 to a 300 h and h but he don't take the swift.

Shooting deer

Shot maybe 20 Blacktail with a 222 shooting 50 grn. Sierras. Head and high neck shots only. They never saw me.
If we were going to beat the brush a 300 Savage or Marlin in 32 Win. Special was used.

Mort

Back