Doug Casner

Got an older post 64 mod. 70 of my son in laws.Shot about 3 in. groups at 100. Forearm was riding the barrel real bad. Free floated the barrel . Used a little rasp looking thing in a drill to knock the bad spots down and sandpaper to finish the free float. I shot a .75 group with it when I was done with 55gr. sierras and cfe223. Its free floated from the end of the forearm to the recoil lug. My question, what do you do with the recoil lug? It looks like its got some kind of plastic crap on it I guess they bedded the lug but most of it came off. Its not flat kinda jagged. I had to put oil on the recoil lug and tap the rifle with a rawhide mallet to get it in the stock. How is a recoil lug supposed to fit the stock? I see why riflemen were mad when Winchester started mass production after 64. Doug

Either bed the action properly with pillars, or pay to have that done. The bedding may not be limiting your rifle's performance, but you will never know until it is corrected.

The stock behind and on each side of the recoil lug needs to be cut out to allow rebedding of the recoil lug. If the remaining wood is oily the bedding might not hold.

If you have a mod 70 shooting 3/4" groups with a factory barrel that may be about tops.

mod. 70

I was happy it took it from 3ins. to an 1in. Its just an old truck rifle anyway. I just wondered how much the recoil lug would effect it. I guess it depends how bad it is. Some of the bedding material was still on the lug and some of it was gone. I hope I didn't screw it up by putting oil on the lug. Well thanks for talking to me. Doug

Got an older post 64 mod. 70 of my son in laws.Shot about 3 in. groups at 100. Forearm was riding the barrel real bad. Free floated the barrel . Used a little rasp looking thing in a drill to knock the bad spots down and sandpaper to finish the free float. I shot a .75 group with it when I was done with 55gr. sierras and cfe223. Its free floated from the end of the forearm to the recoil lug. My question, what do you do with the recoil lug? It looks like its got some kind of plastic crap on it I guess they bedded the lug but most of it came off. Its not flat kinda jagged. I had to put oil on the recoil lug and tap the rifle with a rawhide mallet to get it in the stock. How is a recoil lug supposed to fit the stock? I see why riflemen were mad when Winchester started mass production after 64. Doug

Varget worked well in my 22-250 with55 Sierra 55's.

mod. 70

Well, I thought I fixed that rifle. That first .75 group must have been a fluke. Shot 3 more all 2 ins. Didn't want you guys thinking I lied to you. Still playing with it. Doug

Those Model 70's are very, very sensitive to how tight the middle action screw is. Try loosening the action screws and alternately snugging down the front and rear only...then lightly snug the middle and see how it shoots. They used a glob of dark colored goo to bed the recoil lug. After a bunch of heating/cooling cycles, that stuff pretty much locks the lug into place..not good.

When bedding those, I inlet a small pillar for the center action screw....works great. -Al

Boyd said to re-bed the rifle and I agree. Either do it yourself or have somebody do it. I'm pretty sure you are smart enough to do it yourself....if you have the patience.

You didn't say

how old the rifle is and if you know how many rounds have been down the barrel. The 22-250 is an overbore .22 caliber and all that powder takes a toll on the small bore diameter pretty fast. Do you know someone with a good borescope so that you can examine the first 3 or 4 inches of the barrel ahead of the chamber. It might be worthwhile to do before anything else. The barrel could be "shot out".

Thanks guys, Ill try action screw torque and see if that helps. I know the guy who bought it new and he didn't shoot it enough to throat erode it. It may be trading material. The guy who owns it is going elk hunting this fall and has his eye on a 300 RUM. Ill let him sight in. Ive got too much steel in my neck to shoot those artillery rounds anymore. Doug

22-250

In my on going tale of the 22-250. I did what Al said and just snugged the middle screw and loosened the other two from where I had them torqued. Shot two groups about 1 in. I didn't put the torque wrench on them so I don't know what their set on but it shoots better. One group was with varget and the other was with cfe. An inch is plenty good enough for that rifle. I thought if my benchrest rifle is glued in the stock I needed to torque the action screws very tight. Not on that one. Learned something. Well thanks guys, for the info. Ive learned a lot on this site. Doug

Doug, I'm glad you saw improvement. If it shoots 1" after fiddling with the action screws, it has the capability to shoot significantly better if properly bedded.

Each action type has their own unique characteristics that need to be addressed when bedding. In other words, you don't bed a Rem. 700 the same way you do a Model 70. And a Model 70 isn't done the way you do a Savage. And so forth and so on. -Al

I have had good luck with H380 38 gr. with 52 to 55 flat
base bullets WELL UNDER MOA Bedding was not hard to do

Last edited:
22-250

Yesterday I shot IMR 4064 and those same old 55 gr. Sierras in .75 at 100. It was a grain and a half under max in my Nosler reloading manuel I think 33 grains at 3500. That's what Im gonna shoot. I think Im done. Thanks guys, Doug

Thanks guys, Ill try action screw torque and see if that helps. I know the guy who bought it new and he didn't shoot it enough to throat erode it. It may be trading material. The guy who owns it is going elk hunting this fall and has his eye on a 300 RUM. Ill let him sight in. Ive got too much steel in my neck to shoot those artillery rounds anymore. Doug

Doug
What did you do to your neck? I trashed mine in a dune buggy accident many years ago. Will sure put a dent in a car hobby or what you can shoot. I ended up having three neck operations.

neck

I wrecked a Z28. Ran off in a big holler on the way home from Lake City. My neck was fractured, a harline crack, and they didn't find the crack and started therapy. they went to stretching my neck and the crack went to a shattered vertabre. I couldn't say anything because I was knocked out from a head injury. That was 1994. It was bad but it aint as bad as it used to be. Could of been a lot worse. Could be dead. I can still shoot, hunt and watch my grandkids grow up. Doug

Yesterday I shot IMR 4064 and those same old 55 gr. Sierras in .75 at 100. It was a grain and a half under max in my Nosler reloading manuel I think 33 grains at 3500. That's what Im gonna shoot. I think Im done. Thanks guys, Doug

I've always had a soft spot for the model 70's. To this day, the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned was a Model 70 Heavy Varminter in 22-250, believe it or not. I won a lot of bets with that gun and even beat some true BR rifles in a few informal matches years ago. It was that fabled and rare, true .250" or better factory rifle.
Don't quit until you at least try a stiffer charge of IMR 4064. Work up to about 36.0 grains, as that has been my "go to" load in many a 22-250. That powder often gets overlooked today but its' still head and shoulders better than Varget in every single 22-250 I've ever seen. That ol' winchester just may be a diamond in the rough. Sounds like you've made huge improvements already. Why stop before trying what I think is the magic load first.

As you've seen, that middle action screw is a bad idea. They finally got rid of it on later models. I put a drop of blue loctite on it and just barely enough tension to feel, when tightening.

22-250

Mike, My cousin had a 22-250 model 70 heavy barrel back in the 70s. 26 in. barrel I believe, but his didn't shoot that good. Well as I remember about an inch. We were kids and didn't know anything about making one shoot. The only time we loaded ammo was when we got low shooting at coyotes or whatever. He traded it for a 700 varmint in 22-250. Because it was lighter shoot it off hand easier. My son in law came and got the model 70 so Im done with it for awhile. The last group I shot with it was an inch about an inch high with vvn150 and 55s. That old rifle was fun to play with. Thanks for the tips guys, Doug

Let me just add

Let me just add that ,in my experience, the 22-250 is a great deer rifle. It is my go to rifle for Texas White-tail deer.

Back