22-250

22-250nut

What's the best I can expect out of this round as far as group size at 100yds. I have .3 for a five-shot group normally, but nothing tighter yet. Still working the tunning and my responsibility's, but I have higher hopes here for this old round!
Shooting a Bergara hmr stock rifle, with the hopes of one ragged hole!
Shot many groundhogs at 400 to 600 yards, with a Rem700. Now shooting a 1:9 twist with a 68 and 75 Grain bullet, things are much different than it was 40 years ago.
Im not after many critters anymore just target stuff.
So, my bottom-line question is,,,,, Is one ragged hole at 100 repeatable with this round?

What's the best I can expect out of this round as far as group size at 100yds. I have .3 for a five-shot group normally, but nothing tighter yet. Still working the tunning and my responsibility's, but I have higher hopes here for this old round!
Shot many groundhogs at 400 to 600 yards, with a Rem700. Now shooting a 1:9 twist with a 68 and 75 Grain bullet, things are much different than it was 40 years ago.
So, my bottom-line question is,,,,, Is one ragged hole at 100 repeatable with this round?

Great little round and they can shoot quite well. I had a(1) honest .250 moa 22-250 that got me hooked on benchrest. If you can get it to there, I'd say that's about as good as you should expect from it. Mine had a Shilen Select Match HV bbl on it, too. You can probably expect a few little bitty groups too, from time to time with it but a gun's agging ability is what I'm referring to. The problem isn't that it won't shoot, but barrel life.

I'd accept it for what it is...a great shooting varmint round. For poking holes in paper at 100-300 yards or so, a good 6PPC or 6BR is a better option, IMHO. They will typically shoot better and bbl life is at least double...guessing. I'm guessing mostly because I've seen a few bbls that defy logic with how long they can keep shooting but most people will tell you the competitive edge is gone after say 1000-1500 rounds. Some more, some a little less.

You've got a nice rifle and those Bergaras shoot very well. But my advice, coming from experience, is you'll be money ahead to keep that gun as a great shooting varmint rifle and shop the classifieds here and on Accurate Shooter forum for a good used ppc or 6BR bench rifle.

You show all the symptoms of the addiction that we all suffer from on this site...little bitty groups syndrome. If that's the case, you're simply at the first stage of the disease and you're money ahead doing as I suggested vs wearing out your rifle and chasing accuracy with something that is better built as a hunting rifle, no matter how great it shoots. In other words..do it right, cry once. You'll be glad you did. You can pick up a good used br rifle for $1500-$2000. You might get lucky and find an older one for a tad less and you can certainly spend more, too. If you never plan to compete with it, you might find an older BR rifle built on a trued 700 or similar for quite a bit less. I've seen them go for the $800 range. Some can shoot right with the newer state of the art rifles but are slower to feed and maybe not as smooth as the customs.

Take this all as just being very honest and helpful advice from just one of the many on here that started out just like you!

Where are you located?

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I'm in southern Indiana close to Santa Claus and Holiday world.
I wanted the 6br for all the reasons you stated but could only fine one production rifle the savage model 12. I just got tired of waiting for one. I don't ever expect to shoot matches I just like to compete against myself like I do with my 22LR. Just fun with a few likeminded friends. Maybe when the Bergara starts shooting 1 moa regularly I'll have the funds to get a custom rifle.

Yep, the 22-250 can shoot bugholes.

My Savage target action with a Shilen 12 twist barrel did these five shot groups at 100.

1BF75317-FBDC-4690-829B-CCB6B373A02C.jpeg

BBB30BC1-EAC8-4A8E-9D41-200736C305BE.jpeg

Another Savage action with a Shilen 8 twist did this five shot group at 100.

516FBF69-9421-4CF1-8FA7-3225E9764929.jpeg

Back