22-250 Rem as a BR cartridge

Barrel burners

This thread got me thinking of all the accurate factory rifles and chambering's that I have owned over the year's........never been happy with a factory 22-250 or 243 WIN

A 220Swift has accuracy potential better than the 22-250 or 243 Win but is more tempermental than my daughter and daughter-in law put together.

For 22 Cal..........skip it and go to 6 PPC

In a previous posting a person mentioned sacrificing accuracy and barrel life for the 22/250 over smaller capacity cartridges and now the 220 swift is mentioned. From personal experience I have owned and shot the swift and 22/250 and gave up on them because of barrel wear. I couldn't keep barrels up to the swift. 1000 rounds and it was a jack handle. Probably should have been retired at 800 rounds. So I switched to the 22/250. Barrel life improved but not by much.

The rifle involved was a trued and sleeved Rem 700. Yep tuned up and new barrel either of them could agg in the .550 to .600 at 200 yards. Nothing wrong with that for a field varminter. But the same set up in .222 did 4000 rounds before I rebarrelled it and could agg in the high threes at 200 yards. One barrel for the 222 vs three each for the others.
Andy

The 220 Swift comment should probably be ignored.

The bottom line, if someone wants to get their toes wet shooting a 22-250, they should have at it. OTOH, if they hang with he game and look for a replacement barrel, the ideal is probably not the 22-250. Probably 6PPC, 6 BR, 30 BR, etc, depending. I can't find it now, but I thought the OP was shooting a 250 yard F class kind of thing. Maybe the same OP on another forum, maybe I'm mixing posts..it is after all Monday.

At the local range, they shoot a 300 yard varmint league in the winter. I've been told that the 30 BR rules on calm days and 10 twist 6BR shooting mid weight bullets rule in the wind.

The 220 Swift comment should probably be ignored.

The bottom line, if someone wants to get their toes wet shooting a 22-250, they should have at it. OTOH, if they hang with he game and look for a replacement barrel, the ideal is probably not the 22-250. Probably 6PPC, 6 BR, 30 BR, etc, depending. I can't find it now, but I thought the OP was shooting a 250 yard F class kind of thing. Maybe the same OP on another forum, maybe I'm mixing posts..it is after all Monday.

At the local range, they shoot a 300 yard varmint league in the winter. I've been told that the 30 BR rules on calm days and 10 twist 6BR shooting mid weight bullets rule in the wind.

yeah you got it right 250 yard f class...69 gr SMK bullet..lower mv as well useing H4831SC getting 9 of 10 in 3/4 inch at 250 yds..

The f class target might make a difference. The 10 ring of the varmint target is pretty small and the 30 cal hole is a help. 9/10 on a 3/4 bull is very good. Particularly if there is a switchy wind

Thanks for that great post and I appreciate the great blog you have.
I have a friend that has a custom .22-250 that is well smithed on a Remington action, that has been converted to single shot. When he first started working with the rifle, he got lucky, and picked a load out of a book that has worked very well for him, giving exceptional accuracy for that caliber. Essentially he is shooting it at a relatively low velocity, with a faster powder than I normally see used on this caliber, pre Canadian 2015.

best canon lens for weddings

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice and opinions.

I will probably never be able to out shoot any of the rifles I build including the 22-250. However, I do see the overkill with case capacity and MV wiht the intended. use.

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice and opinions.

I will probably never be able to out shoot any of the rifles I build including the 22-250. However, I do see the overkill with case capacity and MV wiht the intended. use.

This is simply not true. I routinely set people down with truly accurate equipment and let them see that with proper equipment YOU can put five bullets into one teeny hole at 100yds.

A careful, attentive student of the rifle will soon be outshooting most smallbore rifles given proper bench instruction.

dissentingopinionby

al

Just to stir the glue pot (& since Washington has a 5-run lead), I have a .220 Rocket (blown out Swift) that is very accurate, in varminting terms. It is not in Benchrest terms. That is, no matter what, it will not agg better than .250, with a flat .3 being it's average.

Don't really know what barrel life is. But none other than Warren Page remarked that the Rocket, or Wilson arrow, seemed to give better barrel life than the plain Swift. He had a reason, based on shoulder angle, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Well, now it's 6-2, and the Cardinals have men on 2nd and 3rd...

Back