22-250 Rem as a BR cartridge

M

mk12mod1

I know the craze has been towards shorter, fatter cases, but what would I really be giving up?

Case efficiency is part of the accuracy game...more case capacity would require you to increase the powder charge to a fill percent that would put your velocities out of the accuracy "node"...the long range shooters need more capacity to launch heavy bullets at speeds within the accuracy node...short range BR uses light weight bullets to reduce torque and rifle upset and the accuracy node can be found easily with less powder but the case with 100% fill will be more consistent...if you want to shoot the 22-250 consider the 82-90 grain Berger VLD bullets in an 8 twist barrel...the accuracy node is at about 2950-3000 fps for the heavy 22s...more recoil, more torque, more upset..your choice..

Good Luck

Eddie in Texas

You have gotten some good advice. To it I would add that if you are asking about informal shooting from the bench, just to see how well you can do, or club matches that have a factory class, you may be able to have some fun with a .22-250, assuming that it is one that you already have. But as others have said, I would not pick the caliber for a new project that was primarily for bench shooting.

I have a friend that has a custom .22-250 that is well smithed on a Remington action, that has been converted to single shot. When he first started working with the rifle, he got lucky, and picked a load out of a book that has worked very well for him, giving exceptional accuracy for that caliber. Essentially he is shooting it at a relatively low velocity, with a faster powder than I normally see used on this caliber, pre Canadian 2015. I had bought an 8# jug after a good experience with some older powder and found that the new stuff was not the same, so I gave him a really good deal and it has been very good for his rifle. I believe that it was made in the Czech Republic. He shoots 52 gr. match bullets, primarily at 100 yards.

My experience with factory .22-250s is that they are not quite as accurate as a good .222, or even a well done bolt .223.

Studying the problem, I have measured fired and FL sized cases and found that generally, due to the way that SAAMI specs have been set up, that there is a larger than normal reduction in diameter at the shoulder, amounting to around .007, with a factory chamber and a standard FL die. I think that this sort of extreme sizing puts the caliber at a disadvantage, as compared to some of its smaller brethren.

Just keep in mind the orginal 22-250 was to be a benchrest cartridge, just thought I would throw that in.

Well...originally known as the "22-Varminter" based on the 250-3000 Savage case, while tried in the early days of benchrest late forties to early fifties, it was not competitive with the 219 Donnalson Wasp which set a few benchrest records. Then came the .222 Remington which ruled short range benchrest for years until the 22 and 6ppc came along. If you want to be different than the gold standard 6ppc; go back to the light recoiling .222 Remington with its past excellent accuracy record in benchrest.

Good luck....virg

You have gotten some good advice. To it I would add that if you are asking about informal shooting from the bench, just to see how well you can do, or club matches that have a factory class, you may be able to have some fun with a .22-250, assuming that it is one that you already have. But as others have said, I would not pick the caliber for a new project that was primarily for bench shooting.

I have a friend that has a custom .22-250 that is well smithed on a Remington action, that has been converted to single shot. When he first started working with the rifle, he got lucky, and picked a load out of a book that has worked very well for him, giving exceptional accuracy for that caliber. Essentially he is shooting it at a relatively low velocity, with a faster powder than I normally see used on this caliber, pre Canadian 2015. I had bought an 8# jug after a good experience with some older powder and found that the new stuff was not the same, so I gave him a really good deal and it has been very good for his rifle. I believe that it was made in the Czech Republic. He shoots 52 gr. match bullets, primarily at 100 yards.

My experience with factory .22-250s is that they are not quite as accurate as a good .222, or even a well done bolt .223.

Studying the problem, I have measured fired and FL sized cases and found that generally, due to the way that SAAMI specs have been set up, that there is a larger than normal reduction in diameter at the shoulder, amounting to around .007, with a factory chamber and a standard FL die. I think that this sort of extreme sizing puts the caliber at a disadvantage, as compared to some of its smaller brethren.

That is why they make neck size only dies and better yet Wilson dies.

I have had a few real good shooting 22.250's it is the king of varmint cartridges..alltough i switched to a 14 twist 6BR some 10 years ago and have never looked back.
I real good shooting 22-250 can agg a honest .350 they do shoot well but i dont think you would ever get one to agg under a .250
I know for sure they wont shoot with a 6BR on paper..and i feel my 6BR's launching a 65 gr bullet or a 70 gr bullet at 3,500 FPS has been a great varmint cartridge in the field and much better on paper then the 250 ever was.. and they tell me the 6BR wont shoot with the 6ppc..i'm still up in the air on that one because i guess i was lucky enough to have a great barrel on one of my 6BR's that has shot as well or better than my 6ppc's have. but i do have a good shooting ppc now..so i'm just not sure..as i burned that 6BR barrel up playing and testing and wondering if it could..I have a new 6BR barrel that has shot well maybe competitive but not like the last one shot..

interesting----I have yet to get my 22-250 to shoot the 69 gr SMK accuratly at 250 yards....That was why when I
rebarreled it I went with the 1 in 9..Not sure if I messed up or not.But I aint gonna give upon it..
Then maybe next year rebarrel to the 30 BR.....All I can say is keep on shootin....

Then maybe next year rebarrel to the 30 BR.....All I can say is keep on shootin....
The 30BR .... If done RIGHT, will SHOW you REAL accuracy/precision........ It's a NOTHER world.!

Try a 17 twist and shoot Speer 125gr TNT's & Sierra 135gr MK's into DOTS.... Yes... DOTS I said!
cale

This thread got me thinking of all the accurate factory rifles and chambering's that I have owned over the year's........never been happy with a factory 22-250 or 243 WIN

A 220Swift has accuracy potential better than the 22-250 or 243 Win but is more tempermental than my daughter and daughter-in law put together.

For 22 Cal..........skip it and go to 6 PPC

I know the craze has been towards shorter, fatter cases, but what would I really be giving up?

The ability to excel. If you want to shoot bullets through the same hole, stick with the tried and true winners, the 6PPC or 30BR. And always full length size for consistency.

If your looking for fun at the range with your buddies, or a varmint cartridge, the 22-250 will suit you just fine. You can even neck size [like one has suggested] if you don't care about consistency. Eventually you'll need a full length die when the case will no longer chamber. If you're going to pull that handle, why not do it with a F/L die? Then you only need to buy ONE sizing die.

No matter what you decide, have fun! :)

Finally found the right load for my 22-250 which I am going to shoot in the f class..
And that is with the sierra 69 grain SMK and a close to full case of H 4831 SC...
It is not a speed demon but it will do close to 10 shots in an inch at 250 yards,

So I am going to say my search is over...Nothing but bench work from now on...John

mk12mod1 if this is what you want to try as a cartridge go for it, there are better cartridges out there PPC,BR but if this what YOU want to do try it.

To those who gave answers who were trying to help that is how to move this sport foward.

To you who thought this was so funny good move laugh at people with questions and maybe they will go away. OH by the way LETS GROW BR this is the kind of BS that makes people think BR shooters are not worth wasting your time talking with.

The 30BR .... If done RIGHT, will SHOW you REAL accuracy/precision........ It's a NOTHER world.!

Try a 17 twist and shoot Speer 125gr TNT's & Sierra 135gr MK's into DOTS.... Yes... DOTS I said!

cale

Recoil does not bother me like it does some folks..How much recoil is there with the 30 BR in case
my grandsons want to try or the wife..lol I think it is gonna be my next project...thanks John

Back