22/250 ai

E

emert

I thought it would be fun to build a 22/250 AI for 600yd. My problem is that it is a real shooter when I am fireforming cases, but I can not find a load that is as accurate in the finished 22/250 AI case. My fire form load is 35.5 gr. of IMR 4831 behind a 90 gr. Berger. The barrel is a 30" krieger with an 7 twist. 2950 fps. Does anyone have a load that works in a similar setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
When your fireforming Ackley improved brass and the case is expanding your bleeding off pressure.Look for a slower burning powder.
Waterboy

Emert,

If these techniques don't fix your problem, and if your chamber easily accepts unaltered Lapua 22-250 cases, then please repop this post to the top. I see your problem differently than others.

BTW, it's NOT your load. If it IS the load, just match velocity with your FF load and you're all set.

:)

al

al
Please explain your thoughts. I would love to hear about it, I had similar issues with a 234Ai once a few years ago. Lee

al
Please explain your thoughts. I would love to hear about it, I had similar issues with a 234Ai once a few years ago. Lee

skeet,

I'd rather not corrupt this thread unless Emert asks for it :)

But short answer is that I believe it's important to set your rounds for crush-fit when fireforming. Especially for Ackley's. This can be hard to do.

al

alinwa

I would like your thoughts because I won a couple of matches while FF and now can not duplicate the results. Thanks

Well, here's what often happens with Ackleys.....

Many (most?) folks don't really know PO's modus, in fact MANY people think they can rechamber to an Ackley without setting the barrel back and many who DO set the barrel back will still use a standard GO gauge to set the headspace.

The result is excess headspace, which produces warped cases which shoot worse than new ones.

Without going into the mechanics of the thing, let's first establish if this is the case.

When you close the bolt on a brand new case is it tight? If it's not, iron a layer of masking tape onto the casehead and trim it off with a pocket knife. Does it still close? Two layers? Three??

Lemme' know and we'll go from there.

al

Back