20 degree rail

mercury3298

Ok folks I'm not sure how to adjust my scope using this 20 degree rail. I have a 700 Remington scr tactical 300 win-mag. It was bore sighted and the fella said it was sighted in at 100 yds. So if I want to go out say to 600 yds. How do I adjust my scope I have a night force optics with miliradian scale. And so you know I have not shot a 100 yd target to verify this .

I'm not sure how to adjust my scope using this 20 degree rail.

Get it zeroed on paper just exactly the same as you would if it did not have the 20 degree rail. Set the knobs at zero for whatever yardage you like to be your starting point (zero). You simply have more up adjustment than you did without it. BTW "bore sighted at 100yards" means it should be on paper at 100, not much more.

Dick

Last edited:
20 degree Rail

Ok guys can I use my mildot master to figure out my adjustments on my scope for the distance i'm shooting? Also, tell me if i'm wrong. Go to range make sure my weapon (Her name is Hera) is sighted in at 100yds. And then use my mildot master to give me the adjustments I need for the yardage i'm wanting to hit. Without wondering if I need to compensate for my 20 degree rail.

Ok guys can I use my mildot master to figure out my adjustments on my scope for the distance i'm shooting? Also, tell me if i'm wrong. Go to range make sure my weapon (Her name is Hera) is sighted in at 100yds. And then use my mildot master to give me the adjustments I need for the yardage i'm wanting to hit. Without wondering if I need to compensate for my 20 degree rail.

Technically, I believe you'll find your rail to be 20 minutes, as opposed to degrees! :p Just couldn't help myself - 20 degrees would put 'em, "WAY out there"! ;)

Mils and minutes of angle are not the same. Presuming that your Night Force optic features MOA adjustments, and you want to dial, as opposed to hold for elevation, you'll need to convert mils to MOA: one mil equals 3.6 MOA. RG

20 MOA Rail

Well being that my scope is all in MIL and the rail is MOA. I think the best bet is to change it out to a 0 MOA rail. What do you think?

No the best way is to go shoot your favorite load and write down the comeups for each yardage. Forget ballistic calculators, forget mil radians and moa. The only way you can do this is actually shoot it.

Do not worry about the difference between your 20 minute rail and your mil adjustable scope.

Get it on paper at 100 yards, adjust to 100 yard zero (if that is what you want). I would zero for 200.

If your scope has 0.1 mil click adjustments they are equal to .3438 MOA.

1 mil is 3.438 MOA.

1 mil is 3.6" at 100 yards.

A good spotter is your friend.

If your are confused come shoot at our range which is set up in meters:)=

Do not worry about the difference between your 20 minute rail and your mil adjustable scope.

Get it on paper at 100 yards, adjust to 100 yard zero (if that is what you want). I would zero for 200.

If your scope has 0.1 mil click adjustments they are equal to .3438 MOA.

1 mil is 3.438 MOA.

1 mil is 3.6" at 100 yards.

A good spotter is your friend.

If your are confused come shoot at our range which is set up in meters:)=

Yes! I stand technically corrected also - perfect answer here. :cool: RG

Forget ballistic calculators, forget mil radians and moa. The only way you can do this is actually shoot it.

Dusty has nailed it with this statement. Nothing wrong with a 20 MOA rail for most any use, it is usually a necessity for long range shooting. It usually does no real harm at 100-300 . Some can argue it is not absolutely ideal for short range but you are talking about a rifle you do not even yet have on paper yet. Just go shoot the D--n thing .

Back