19yr Old Ginny Thrasher wins first USA Gold!!

Butch Lambert

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. West Virginia University has produced the more NCAA air rifle and small bore championships than any body.

I met Ginny last fall when in Morgantown to watch my Grandson play football. Jon Hammond, WVU rifle coach, invited me to their indoor range. He is a very nice young man. Ginny was practicing at the time as well as Will Anti. Will's Dad, Mike, is a rifle coach at the Air Force Academy and a former WVU All American, with a Silver in the Greek Olympics. WVU has a great group of shooters returning to defend their NCAA Championship.
This past year, Ginny as a new freshman won both the air rifle and small bore individual NCAA Championship.
Very proud of her.

I've been gratified to see a lot of news coverage, from multiple stories on every internet news site to interviews on NBC. I trolled the local TV news stations here to find that every network had the story.

Great stuff for what is really a small, poorly attended sporting event....at least from my selfish perspective.

I mean, really, how many of you know the hammer throw standings? Discus? Javelin? Archery competitions??.......shotput or power lifting??

Ginny has been a sweet, endearing youthful voice for the shooting sports, even mentioning on a national forum how the onerous new California laws concerning "background checks" have made it bothersome for her to purchase her practice rounds.

Rock On Virginia!!!!

I looked at hammer throwing a few years ago...turns out they ain't throwing hammers at all!

position shooting

My understanding is she will be doing 3P shooting on 8/11. Dan Killough built the rifle she will be using and even reached out to his clients to obtain enough ammo for that rifle for her to practice and compete. So, I guess some shooters took one for Team USA in the 3P shooting competition in the 2016 Olympics. Go Ginny Thrasher.

That should be all over the newspapers today. Oh, wait. It's gun related.
The US has done well in shooting sports but the media choose not to cover that sport. I did see her interviewed yesterday on NBC, however. Perhaps, they are coming around to the fact that it is a sport and no people or animals are injured or killed in the games.

Dang flashplayer is SH**ty today.
Anyway Francis.
Ever hear of any mention of the shooting programs at U of M, MSU, EMSU, ??????????
Not much. And they do win a lot(seconds and thirds, er whatever). Nothing in the Freep or Detroit News.....And they are growing. The kids like to shoot. Today at WWCCA. They had run out of keys for the gate. It was packed................Well sorta. Lots of kids. WW now has an Air Rifle Chairman.

My understanding is she will be doing 3P shooting on 8/11. Dan Killough built the rifle she will be using and even reached out to his clients to obtain enough ammo for that rifle for her to practice and compete. So, I guess some shooters took one for Team USA in the 3P shooting competition in the 2016 Olympics. Go Ginny Thrasher.

Ginny shoots a Bleiker. Dan is a huge supporter of the shooting sports. I do know he worked with WVU and other college teams matching ammo to their rifles. WVU has won 18 NCAA team championships. They have also won the last 4.

AND, Ginny has only been shooting for 5yrs?. Did anyone see Vietnamese guy win their 1st gold in men's pistol?--last shot won; he held that gun forever, before finally pulling trigger.

Back