101st Annual Hog Roast Match Recap!

2013 Hog Roast Match Recap
69 Benchrest shooter’s who arrived at the Fairchance Gun Club for this year's 101st annual Hog Roast Benchrest Group match were greeted by warm and windy weather. Did I mention windy weather? It was a little more than breezy all weekend causing everyone to pull their hair out! Yikes!

We were very grateful to have several new shooter’s attend their first match at this year’s Hog Roast! It is was great to see some new BR shooter's in deed!

All the attending shooters were very impressed with the completely new roof the Fairchance Gun Club had constructed last Fall over the entire firing line. The new roof is very nice and now covers all the shooter’s equipment behind the benches with its deeper roof coverage. This will bode very well for the upcoming NBRSA Group Nationals to be held at Fairchance Gun Club in September!

It was also great to see many old friends again from near and far, as the Hog Roast match is well attended, especially this year’s match, as the Fairchance Gun Club will be hosting this year’s NBRSA Group Nationals!

Many shooter’s arrived Thursday and Friday to get some much needed rifle tuning done and to catch up with the latest happenings in the world of Benchrest.

Saturday morning brought some switching, mild-winds as we kicked-off the Hog Roast match with the HV-100 class. Everyone’s good friend, Smiley Hensley, led the way finishing in first place with a .2312” agg. Ever steady, Ted Heindselman took second place with a .2438” agg. I somehow managed a third place with a .2487” Harley “eat all of my snacks” Baker took fourth place with a .2530” agg. and up from “Hill Country” USA (aka… Southern Ohio) Tim Humphries finished fifth place with a .2618” agg.

Saturday afternoon brought warm and windy weather to start the LV100 yard stage. The ripening afternoon 3 o’clock cross-winds would be a “gentle” precursor of what was to greet us on Sunday afternoon…… %$#@!

Tony Alexander conducted a fine shooting clinic with a first place finish with a fine .2160” agg. Tony apparently was unaware of the strong winds that caused all other 68 shooter’s great fits! Master machinist , Jeff Peinhardt, showed how it’s done with a second place finish with a .2370” agg. Smiley Hensley showing great pre-Super Shoot form came in third place with a .2560” agg. Don Rosetti with a fresh perfect haircut, which took Best Cuts 8.5 hours to cut! (Hey.., Don is very picky, so what?) finished fourth with a .2682” agg and in fifth place was one of the original “Oak Ridge Boys”, Danny Pritt , whom shot a .2752” agg under very difficult conditions to say the least…

As in year’s past, Fairchance Gun Club sponsored a Hog Roast barbecue dinner for all the shooter's. It was a great meal and enjoyed by all except me… Apparently the caterer thought I would be better served up on a rotating spit over hot coals instead of shooting and did their best to try and capture me on Saturday morning. Alas… I was still able to out-run the skinny, wimpy caterer and was able to shoot. (never chase a plus-size man with a full-can of Brake Cleaner, Mr. Caterer!) That… was a close one for sure!

As a tradition, the loading area stayed occupied into the night with Tim Humpries telling tales of days gone by in the holler. It was great to have our good friend, Danny Suptin back shooting with us again after some going through some health issues.

On to Sunday and the 200yd. stage of completion……..
Sunday morning the weatherman (or weather person if you’re liberal like Don Rosetti) decided we really need to have a lot of very strong 3 o’clock cross-winds to start the LV200 stage. Wow!

Mark Engle, all-around great guy and first time Hog Roast shooter displayed a fine set of his shooting skills with a 1st place finish in the LV200 with a .2937” agg. 2nd place was the ever steady “I don’t need to practice” Danny Pritt with a .3338” agg. 3rd place was Jeff Ferrett with a .3484” agg. 4th place was little Harley Baker with a .3510” agg. and 5th place was good looking Russell Rains with a .3622” agg. Needless to say the winds were tough with the large aggs. from the TOP FIVE shooter’s aggs. Again, this was just the start of the fun that awaited us for the hard winds to follow in the afternoon HV200 stage…

The final LV Grand agg. resulted in these fine Top 10 performances…..
1.) Tony Alexander .2997’
2.) Danny Pritt .3045”
3.) Mark Engle .3098”
4.) Smiley Hensley .3108”
5.) Don Rosetti .3302”
6.) Harley Baker .3355”
7.) Greg Walley .3384”
8.) Tim Humphries .3408”
9.) Russell Rains .3499”
10.) Jeff Ferrett .3526”

Over the past 14 year’s I have shot, I, like you, have encountered some tough cross-wind conditions. However, the 3 o’clock extremely strong, pulsing winds on Sunday afternoon were something we would rather not endure during a match….
A number of top Eastern Region shooter’s, I won’t mention any names, as so not to embarrass anyone, (Dave Bruno) very understandably shot off their record target.

My normal 3 o’clock/six-ring hold would not suffice in consistently keeping my sighter shots from going off the sighter target. Ouch! Thank God for some well needed nail head aim points I used on the target frame so I could keep my shots on the left-hand side of the record moth ball! WOW! The wind is pretty darn bad when you can’t keep your Sinclair match timer (former PS advertiser) from blowing off your %$#@! benchtop!

Tim Humpries made it look easy, winning the HV-200 agg. with a very fine .3456” agg. 2nd place was Hal Drake who also showed his wind reading prowess with a .3635” agg. 3rd place was a fine performance by Joey Krupa with a.3885” agg. First time Hog Roast shooter, Bill McIntyre finished 4th with a .4055” agg. and Jeff Peinhardt finished 5th with a .4226” agg. Additionally, Jeff’s 15 year-old son, Wyatt (Future BR Hall of Famer) finished in 6th place with a .4348” agg. Great job, Wyatt!

The final HV Grand agg. resulted in these fine Top 10 performances…..
1.) Tim Humphries .3037”
2.) Hal Drake .3486”
3.) Jack Neary .3538”
4.) Bill McIntyre .3618”
5.) Wayne Campbell .3630”
6.) JD Denoff .3798”
7.) Wyatt Peinhardt .3889” (awesome job, Wyatt!)
8.) Bud Welsh .3936”
9.) Ted Heindselman .3942”
10.) Bob Scarbrough, Jr. .3946”

With the dust settled…. The final 2-Gun agg. ~ Top 20 results!
1.) Tim Humphries .3223”
2.) Bill McIntyre ,3591”
3.) Hal Drake .3608”
4.) Jack Neary .3624”
5.) Harley Baker .3682”
6.) Smiley Hensley .3697”
7.) Wayne Campbell .3793”
8.) Russell Rains .3802”
9.) Danny Pritt .3808”
10.) Bud Welsh .3818”
11.) Greg Walley .3883”
12.) Wyatt Peinhardt .3854”
13.) Don Rosetti .3860”
14.) Mark Engle .3870”
15.) Jeff Peinhardt .3884’ (Very Proud Papa!)
16.) JD Denoff .3902”
17.) Jeff Ferrett .3911”
18.) Tony Alexander .3920”
19.) Richard Spencer .3989”
20.) Al Auman Sr. .4044”

Thanks to all who came and supported this match. The experience you each gained in shooting some very tough, windy conditions will prove helpful in your future BR matches for sure!

Special thanks to Bill, Jerry, the kitchen workers, scoring personnel and all the target crew volunteers for running a great match!

Hope everyone will come back to Fairchance for the 2013 NBRSA Group Nationals next Sept. 16th – 21th!

Warm Regards,
Jack Neary

NBRSA Eastern Region - Director

Thanks for the write-up Jack. Congratulations, Tim on a fine win in anti-trigger pull conditions. You really earned it. Bravo! Also, hats off to Tony Alexander and all the other winners and top finishers!

Jeff

Jack, Thanks for the recap. It was my first time to the hog roast but it won't be my last. All the folks involved did a fantastic job. I wanted to get some experience at the range before the nationals and boy did I.

The wind made things interesting to say the least. It was good seeing old friends and making some new ones.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at Kane later this year!

To all going to the Super Shoot, best of luck!

Bill McIntyre

Back