100 yard 22lr accuracy outdoors

The vast majority of competition in rf br is at 50 yds. That is what I shoot. 100 yds is about 4 times as hard. If you want to compare your work with the world, shoot at 50. When you get everyone covered at that range, then go to 100.

You'd be surprised at how many up/down drafts you get on flat ground even with what looks like a steady push.

ifldned, reading your post about 100yd 22LR accuracy, you stated you have a custom Win 52 ts Womack. I recently purchased a custom Rem 37 with the barrel stamped Womack 400, the stock is a beautiful piece of fiddle back walnut, the rifle is set up as a prone rifle, I think, with Freeland tube sights. I have not been able to find any info about who did the work, barrel mfg, etc. If you have any info, please let me know.

I've found out Mr. Womack was a somewhat renowned gunsmith out of Louisiana. He is most famous for his custom 52 winchesters but made other chamberings as well. He lived to be nearly 100 years old and was a active gunsmith the whole time. Noted mostly in the 1950's , I believed he passed away in the l990's . If you find out anything else please let me know. I had the good fortune of coming across this rifle 25 years ago in a pawn shop in california. Bought it for $200. I cleaned it up and took it to the range, ran some rounds through it to lube the barrel. Shooting cci green tag at 200 meters, shot a five shot group at 2.25 inches. I was stunned,my friend who is a old timer and his son,who is a gunsmith for atkinson barrels in arizona was stunned. Then I promptly pick off a squirrel that was sitting on the 200 meter berm.
I've quit shooting for over 20 years but I took this rifle into my local gunstore and the owner offered me $2,000 on the spot. I'm sure your rifle is as well made and desirable as mine. I'm going to use this rifle to get my .25 inch,5 shot group at l00 yards. ifldned

22 lr group size 100 yards outdoors

The vast majority of competition in rf br is at 50 yds. That is what I shoot. 100 yds is about 4 times as hard. If you want to compare your work with the world, shoot at 50. When you get everyone covered at that range, then go to 100.

It's wise advice to start from the bottom and work your way up, or out in this case. I shoot 22lr because of the difficulty of the challenge. I learn alot from my failures ,I guess you could say I'm successful in my failure. I think if you succeed without overcoming great adversity I didn't set my sights high enough.You sound like a experienced shooter. I'll bet you have shot five shots in the zeroes already. I realize they don't shoot 22lr more than 50 meters in the olympics. thanks for you advice
ifldned

You have some of the best shooters in the world on this board to help you with your quest. Most of them are good people who are anxious to help. I wouldn't ignore what they say. But even without the advice of the true pros a person can learn to shoot pretty well and get the occasional really good group. I've been lucky shooting 90 yard groups before with a cheap rifle. It doesn't always take the very best equipment. It helps if you live in a place where there are lots of hills to block the winds and practice above all will make you a good shooter if you really concentrate on learning from your mistakes and learning how to fix your mistakes.

I've shot 3 shot groups of less than .4 at 90 yards on more than one occasion and I did it with a Marlin Model 60. But I'll tell you right now there are much better shots in the world and I certainly can't come close to shooting that well as an average. I've just shot enough that I've got lucky enough to do this. I can shoot fairly well but, again, there are people who do BR shooting all the time. The one time I did try to shoot a BR event turned out to be a disaster IMO but that had more to do with the logistics of setting up. And that wasn't an actual sanctioned type shoot. It's what would be called an outlaw shoot.

I've been shooting since I was very young and for the past few years I've shot a lot. I've averaged a brick or sometimes 2 a week for at least 18 months and before that I was shooting centerfire for quite a while. I would suggest that if you want that .44 CTC group that you start practicing a lot and that you learn not only to read the wind but to know how to compensate for it.

Shooting rimfires is a challenging sport especially if you're doing it at 100 yards. At that distance you have more chance for the wind to play havoc with shells that are moving pretty slow and don't weigh a lot. Plus you either have to deal with the drop of a sub-sonic round or the drop from supersonic to sub-sonic speeds which can cause a lot of turbulence just like it did when the X-15 was breaking through the sound barrier from a lower speed to a higher one.

There's a lot to be learned about shooting from how to pick really good ammo for your particular gun (which is mostly trial and error) to knowing how often to clean your barrel. You sound like you have an excellent gun to use. I'm watching and learning myself here. I do wish the weather was a little better right now so I could be shooting more. Hopefully I can get more time to shoot now that Christmas is over. I hope you have good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
ifldned, reading your post about 100yd 22LR accuracy, you stated you have a custom Win 52 ts Womack. I recently purchased a custom Rem 37 with the barrel stamped Womack 400, the stock is a beautiful piece of fiddle back walnut, the rifle is set up as a prone rifle, I think, with Freeland tube sights. I have not been able to find any info about who did the work, barrel mfg, etc. If you have any info, please let me know.

----------------
OK,The Womack 400 barrels were made by Douglas for Walter Womack.With a Womack sized button.The Womack 400 barrels have won the Perry Nationals.
Freeland Tue sight is in over size mounts with a 1" Tube and short.
:)

womack 400

thanks for the info update. How does your rifle shoot? I researched your rifle ,the model 37 and the scope, it's a rare find.

ifldned
I don't know about your range, but the wind is not the same here long enough to get two shots off in same wind. I am confused about what usable info you gain by walking the sidelines with an incense stick. I could see a smog pot set along the berms. You need constant feedback to know what is happening at the time you pull the trigger. Thus, windflags.
Don

ifldned
I don't know about your range, but the wind is not the same here long enough to get two shots off in same wind. I am confused about what usable info you gain by walking the sidelines with an incense stick. I could see a smog pot set along the berms. You need constant feedback to know what is happening at the time you pull the trigger. Thus, windflags.
Don

Don has it right, you need instant, visible feedback on when to shoot.

wind detection

I wrote a lengthy reply but I guess that seal on the envelope means the thread is closed. Anyhow, I promise to buy the best windflags I can find but the next time you're on the range and your windflags read zero, zilch, wind effect, string three incense sticks together and tie wrap them on you windflag and see what the wind is really doing. A 1 mph wind moves a match 22 round .42 inch at 100 yards, that's .84 inch in in a swirling wind
ifldned

The wind flags we use have tails on them of different weights. When the wind is very light, we use very light tails...milar or less and watch for the slightest deflection.

Don M has a flag tail so light it even picks up movement indoors. He was not on my relay and took it down when he was not shooting. I have bought a twin to it. Now if I can figure out what it is telling me.
Don
Besides, my sinuses hate incense.

Last edited:
Don M has a flag tail so light it even picks up movement indoors. He was not on my relay and took it down when he was not shooting. I have bought a twin to it. Now if I can figure out what it is telling me.
Don

Try an old sailboater trick to find light wind. Attach a length of tape from a tape recording, I find those from W. Nelson or J. Cash work best, to the back fin of your wind flag.

Al Kunard

Don

The flags I built will turn indoors, and the VHS tape tail doesn't even move.

I would urge you to commit to shooting a certain sized group on a regular basis rather than trying for a very, very tight group once in a blue moon.

The flags I built will turn indoors, and the VHS tape tail doesn't even move.

Indoors I use helium ballons, but not very well! The "Barn" has fooled my well tuned rifles and ammo twice!

Al Kunard

wind detection

The Dons,
You're not pulling my leg are you, there are flags that detect wind indoors with no obvious air currents in the room? I notice dust particles floating in the air against a back drop of a lit flourescent lamp, they move right along.

To the poster that suggest I shoot more for tighter overall consistent groups. Twenty years from now all your trophies and ribbons will be packed and in the attic or sold at a yard sale. You won't remember your average group but you will never forget the best group you ever shot. All I want is one .25 inch, five shot group at 100 yards outdoors.
ifldned

The Dons,
You're not pulling my leg are you, there are flags that detect wind indoors with no obvious air currents in the room? I notice dust particles floating in the air against a back drop of a lit flourescent lamp, they move right along.

To the poster that suggest I shoot more for tighter overall consistent groups. Twenty years from now all your trophies and ribbons will be packed and in the attic or sold at a yard sale. You won't remember your average group but you will never forget the best group you ever shot. All I want is one .25 inch, five shot group at 100 yards outdoors.
ifldned

Most of us are so old we have already forgot the best group we ever shot.

Indoors I use helium ballons, but not very well! The "Barn" has fooled my well tuned rifles and ammo twice!

Al Kunard

That is why I have not been to that dreaded barn since Feb 09, and have NO plans to go back.

Back