1/8 or 1/16 dot

I have the 3/32" on my 40x March and prefer it over the 1/8" or 1/16". For my eyes, the former seems too big and the latter seems too small. But that said, the 50x is higher magnification so maybe the 3/32" isn't ideal at that power.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

3/32"

For what it's worth, I've used an 1/8" then a 1/16" dot, I'm now using a 3/32" dot and love it.

Dick

Dot size

For what it's worth, I've used an 1/8" then a 1/16" dot, I'm now using a 3/32" dot and love it.

Dick

I forgot to mention that I have 3/32 dots on my Marchs 36-55 EP as well as on my 50X's and they work just great at any power including 55X that I use most of the time.

March used to only offer 1/16 & 1/8, the 1/16 was simply too small and many felt the 1/8 was a little large. By popular request they came out with the very popular 3/32.

not trying to derail the question but I have the following comments

-- most people that I know prefer the 40x march ot the 50x march

-- most of the scopes for sale are 50x when compared ot 40x over the last 4 years I have noticed

-- when i compare them at Kelblys the 40x looks a lot clearer than the 50x over the last 8 years

-- the 50x seems to close at 100 yards and the comments by some are that you spend time picking a point of aim and tend to or can miss the wind calls by getting your point of aim exact, now having said that the point of aim is very very precise with the 50x but at what cost- to miss a flag turning while you get the aiming point where you want it to be and yes you can hold off about 30 thou with the 50x from your original point of aim

just trying to help your milage may vary

I have 40x march and like them and then 3/32 dot

Jefferson

I guess tha reason I stuck with the 50x March is the two I have had for a long time are rock solid. They are relative older models, I think I bought the one on my 30Br score Rifle the first year they were out.

The optics on the 50 suck compared to a 40, or a 45x Leupold. Or at least mine do. But they are good enough.

As a note, about 3 years ago I did buy a 60x March Variable to mount on the 30 BR, I had a few ounces to spare. But I found it to be of no help in those heavy mirage conditions, where I could drop the power. And for some reason, I did not think the Rifle shot as well. It could have been I lost a little confidence, had some mediocre bullets, or something else, but I sold the Variable and put the 50 back on.

The 50x on my LV group Rifle is just the same as the other, it seems to be rock solid, but always does have sort of a hazy look to it. But it's staying on.

Last edited:
Broadening this "dot; discussion a bit for the benefit of shooters with not so perfect eyesight.

When Ferris Pindell's eyesight was failing fast and Allen Tucker was still with Leupold, I ask Allen to put a 3/8" dot in one of his Leu 36X scopes. That large dot enabled Ferris to continue to shoot for a period from the bench in his back yard. Don't know if this applies to any of the readers of this post.

More scope comments and a question to March users. I was shooting beside someone somewhere on a blue-bird clear sunny day when I noticed that shooter had a screw-in thing on the front that hade a hole in it about 1" diameter. I ask him what it was for and he said it reduced the "harshness" on really bright days. Any of you seen one of these?

As to general eyesight comments, Gerry Masker and I have probably the worst eyesight in centerfire/group benchrest and we discuss our "challenges" sometimes. Gerry did overcome some of his with a top notch rail gun. Matter of face he made the HOF on rail gun points.

Me, not so good. When I started shooting centerfire/group my eyesight was 200/20 left eye, corrected, and 80/20 right eye corrected. One thing that helped some was fitting thicker crosshairs in the 3 45X LCS's I have. (Still have a couple of 40X LCS's with fine crosshairs-worthless). Sometimes I even use a 3X multiplier with that and still can't see the rings if the target is in the shade. Solution? For the last 2-3 years I shoot the bottom left corner of the big black square.

Like I told the Doctor at Duke Eye Center in 1970, I can still see big things like cars and trucks, I just can't see little things like people.

We're supposed to get snow and ice sometime today so before that starts, I'm off to try some new technology eyeglass lens material my opthomoligst just told me about. We gotta' get rid of this ice crap so I can go shoot!!

Broadening this "dot; discussion a bit for the benefit of shooters with not so perfect eyesight.

When Ferris Pindell's eyesight was failing fast and Allen Tucker was still with Leupold, I ask Allen to put a 3/8" dot in one of his Leu 36X scopes. That large dot enabled Ferris to continue to shoot for a period from the bench in his back yard. Don't know if this applies to any of the readers of this post.

More scope comments and a question to March users. I was shooting beside someone somewhere on a blue-bird clear sunny day when I noticed that shooter had a screw-in thing on the front that hade a hole in it about 1" diameter. I ask him what it was for and he said it reduced the "harshness" on really bright days. Any of you seen one of these?

As to general eyesight comments, Gerry Masker and I have probably the worst eyesight in centerfire/group benchrest and we discuss our "challenges" sometimes. Gerry did overcome some of his with a top notch rail gun. Matter of face he made the HOF on rail gun points.

Me, not so good. When I started shooting centerfire/group my eyesight was 200/20 left eye, corrected, and 80/20 right eye corrected. One thing that helped some was fitting thicker crosshairs in the 3 45X LCS's I have. (Still have a couple of 40X LCS's with fine crosshairs-worthless). Sometimes I even use a 3X multiplier with that and still can't see the rings if the target is in the shade. Solution? For the last 2-3 years I shoot the bottom left corner of the big black square.

Like I told the Doctor at Duke Eye Center in 1970, I can still see big things like cars and trucks, I just can't see little things like people.

We're supposed to get snow and ice sometime today so before that starts, I'm off to try some new technology eyeglass lens material my opthomoligst just told me about. We gotta' get rid of this ice crap so I can go shoot!!

Jerry. That disk you are talking about is a March Modifier Disk. It's a perforated 35MM aluminum disc with no lens that screws onto the scope in front of the obj lens. It modifies the view of the target and mirage, it increases your depth of focus by about 50%, it may also cut the incoming light by as much as 50% depending on the brightness of conditions at the time.

Last edited:
I guess tha reason I stuck with the 50x March is the two I have had for a long time are rock solid. They are relative older models, I think I bought the one on my 30Br score Rifle the first year they were out.

The optics on the 50 suck compared to a 40, or a 45x Leupold. Or at least mine do. But they are good enough.

As a note, about 3 years ago I did buy a 60x March Variable to mount on the 30 BR, I had a few ounces to spare. But I found it to be of no help in those heavy mirage conditions, where I could drop the power. And for some reason, I did not think the Rifle shot as well. It could have been I lost a little confidence, had some mediocre bullets, or something else, but I sold the Variable and put the 50 back on.

The 50x on my LV group Rifle is just the same as the other, it seems to be rock solid, but always does have sort of a hazy look to it. But it's staying on.

Jackie. I had a talk with Jim Kelbly about a year and a half ago about the clarity of some of the 50X scopes. He told me it was a coating issue. He told me that at one time March was using 2 different lens coating and 1 was clearly superior to the other one. I guess he complained to Deon about it and from what I got out of the conversation, they just use the better of the 2 coating now. Also, did u use those 112 Barts when u shot a 25? I just ordered 5K of those from him and I can't wait to get them.

Last edited:
Jackie. I had a talk with Jim Kelbly about a year and a half ago about the clarity of some of the 50X scopes. He told me it was a coating issue. He told me that at one time March was using 2 different lens coating and 1 was clearly superior to the other one. I guess he complained to Deon about it and from what I got out of the conversation, they just use the better of the 2 coating now.

thanks Jim and Jackie, one does not want to be critical of a product if they have updated the specs on it, glad to know I was on the right track with my comments as I was thinking of calling Jim to get an update,

Kelblys make and supply great stuff and it is nice to see they have updated the 50x,

let's have fun this year,

Jefferson

It is the same as a pinhole camera It lets light beams in that are relatively straight come thru the hole but not light coming from large degrees from normal. These peripheral light waves are carrying lots of noise and little info. This will cut down overall brightness but very little info coming from straight on will be lost.

Try making a 2 mm hole with your thumbs and index fingers, hold about 6 " from your eye and notice how much sharper the view is. Very basic optics phenom.

Fretka

It is the same as a pinhole camera It lets light beams in that are relatively straight come thru the hole but not light coming from large degrees from normal. These peripheral light waves are carrying lots of noise and little info. This will cut down overall brightness but very little info coming from straight on will be lost.

Try making a 2 mm hole with your thumbs and index fingers, hold about 6 " from your eye and notice how much sharper the view is. Very basic optics phenom.

Fretka

Thanks, I know about "pinholing" I just didn't know what the explicit purpose for the disk was. I hadn't thought about the "noise but not much information angle". I was absent the day they taught about "light" in physics class.

Back