1.400 barrel block rail gun/ 1.350 barrel??

skeetlee

Looking for some ideas on how to make a 1.350 barrel work in my 1.400 round barrel block on my rail gun? My first attemp will be to use some delrin. Not sure i can cut this delrin to .025 but im going to try. If this doesnt work, i may turn the barrel down a bit were the block will be and make a .050 delrin sleeve? Any other suggestions? Lee

How about some Devcon or J-B Weld? I bed my barrels into the barrel block. Makes it nice when changing barrels as well. No need for precise diameters glue shims onto the barrel and wax the block and bed. A lot easier and faster than cutting a delrin bushing.

got it!!

The bushing actually came out very good, I am a bit surprised. I haven't ever machined any delrin but I must say its my new favorite material to play with. LOL I didn't think I could cut the delrin so thin, but it wasn't a problem at all. The barrel is nice and tight, and ready to go.
I guess the only real solution was to get out in the shop and try something new. Now, if it holds under recoil I will have a winner!! Lee

FWIW Delrin will expand greatly with the application of heat. In some cases to the point of stripping the clamping bolts. Make the bushings out of micarta much less temperature sensitive.

Dave

I was under the understanding that several top rail gun shooters were using delrin on there rail gun barrels? Something about vibration, or it has to do with vibrations. I will take dave advise and order a piece of the material he suggested. McMastercarr has it in stock. Just in case!! Lee

Something to note on machining Micarta. It leaves a very dusty residue that is mixed with a phenolic plastic and will gum up your machine. Keep it vacuumed up, and the ways wiped down as you cut and don't use coolant. Cover up your coolant intake for sure. That stuff will kill a coolant pump.

The use of Micarta for blocks is new to me, and would much appreciate to hear more about it as to vibrations, harmonics, rigidity.....

Thanks ahead of time,
Donovan Moran

Back