1/16" MOA dot for Leupold Competition scope

P.Ericson

Who can install a 1/16" dot reticle in a leupold competition 45x45 scope? Does Leupold offer it thru the custom shop? Is there anyone else?

//Peter

You might try Optical Services Co.( Bill Ackerman) he is about the best there is these days, since Premier Reticles stopped doing mods on Leupolds.

1/16 dot in Leupold 45X

charlesbrock3@live.comPeter, I have shot with at least 3 shooters that have had their Leupold Competition Scopes sent back to Leupold to have the reticles replaced with a smaller one. In all the cases, as I understand it, the original reticle was replaced with the reticle of a lower power Leupold Competition Scope. One scope I didn't look though, so I am not sure the power. The other two I did look through, one is owned by a very talented Maine Shooter, I believe his is a 40X, that he had a 35X reticle installed in, (or a 45 that he put a 40X in). The other, an equally fine shooter from Pennsylvania, I think he had a 35x reticle installed in a 45. I could be wrong, but my memory is of that finer dot. I can't recall, though, what the replacement reticles subtend in the higher power scopes. Initially, when I had contacted Leupold and spoke with a tech, I, also, was told, "No can do!" Later, when I called to have 35X reticles installed in the two 45X scopes I had, I spoke with Garth Kendig (sp), he told me that the 35X reticle would be awfully small. Though as I recall, he did have an approximation of the size of the new dot. I ended up not having Leupold install the reticles, their policy is to not do work on a Leupold Scope that someone else has altered. I my case Don Neilson had installed his fine locking mechanism on both scopes. As an aside, I thought I had found a solution after I had asked Garth if someone outside of Leupold could do the work. He ultimately said yes. I pressed him, and he suggested Cecil Tucker, as Cecil bought some components from Leupold. That suited me, as I had several scopes with Tucker Conversions, and was very pleased with his workmanship. Cecil agreed to do the work for a reasonable price. The problem arose when Garth couldn't get the folks upstairs to put a price on the reticles. Perhaps Leupold just would rather not be part of someone else customizing one of their scopes, when they could sell me a "new" one and then do the reticle replacement. At some point I'll do just that, and then send it off to Don Neilson, for his alteration. (Hope he still does them!) Perhaps the two shooters that I mentioned will see this post and offer their first hand knowledge, and opinions on the change. As I remember that 35X dot was sweet. Cheers, Charles

Charles,

Thanks for your reply! I´m located in Sweden, and so is Leupold´s repair shop for Europe. Having it changed here would save me from alot of shipping problems...

If anyone else have any experience with 35x or 40x 1/8MOA dots in the 45x45 scope, let me know!

I have tried to have Leupold instal a smaller dot on my 45,I also don't like the dot size on my scope. All i got from Leupold was that they only make one size dot for that scope. I have tried more than once with out any luck from Leupold ,Instead of trying to change dots on this scope maybe I should just change the scope manufactur to one that has more than just one size dot to choose from,yes it will probably cost me more but at least I will have something that's of my likings,instead of having somthing that someone else thinks I'm better off with

Last edited:
Well they have done it for me, but it was in 2010 and was organised by Alan Tucker - I understand he has now left the company.

I found that the Leupold 1/8th dot (in the 45x Competition scope) was too big, but the new one is excellent.

Brendan Atkinson

Peter, Tim, Gabe, and others?

More info on Leupold providing 1/16 moa dot in 45X scope. After I posted last I contacted Leupold and spoke with Trent Smith, and told him what I was looking for. He explained process and formula used to compute what a "Z" sized dot from one scope would subtend @ 100yds in another scope. Longish story shorter- the 35X dot in a 45x scope would be too large. Trent looked @ other scopes of different powers to find one that yielded a dot that subtended .0654375 inches ( 1/16 moa) @ 100yds. He came up with the dot from a 6.5X to 20X (actually 19.3X). Using this dot in the 45X produces a dot that subtends .0690511 inches @ 100 yds. Only .0036136 inches large. I just checked, with my "Mitutoyo Absolute Calipers", one of my long grey whiskers, .0035 inches thick. So, this dot is "almost literally" a whisker big. In fairness, I only checked one, I my have one thicker. So if this size dot is close enough, contact Leupold ask to speak with either Trent Smith or Josh Bechard, they are both up to speed. Reticle/dot part number is: 51464, explain what you want. The only downside of this transformation is the price..........wait for it..........$69.99. Good luck I hope this helps. Cheers, Charles

Peter, Tim, Gabe, and others?

More info on Leupold providing 1/16 moa dot in 45X scope. After I posted last I contacted Leupold and spoke with Trent Smith, and told him what I was looking for. He explained process and formula used to compute what a "Z" sized dot from one scope would subtend @ 100yds in another scope. Longish story shorter- the 35X dot in a 45x scope would be too large. Trent looked @ other scopes of different powers to find one that yielded a dot that subtended .0654375 inches ( 1/16 moa) @ 100yds. He came up with the dot from a 6.5X to 20X (actually 19.3X). Using this dot in the 45X produces a dot that subtends .0690511 inches @ 100 yds. Only .0036136 inches large. I just checked, with my "Mitutoyo Absolute Calipers", one of my long grey whiskers, .0035 inches thick. So, this dot is "almost literally" a whisker big. In fairness, I only checked one, I my have one thicker. So if this size dot is close enough, contact Leupold ask to speak with either Trent Smith or Josh Bechard, they are both up to speed. Reticle/dot part number is: 51464, explain what you want. The only downside of this transformation is the price..........wait for it..........$69.99. Good luck I hope this helps. Cheers, Charles

$69.99. That's cheap Charlie. Jim Kelbly told me that if I wanted to change my 1/8th dot for the 3/32 in my March Tactical it would cost me $250.00.

Cost

Jim, For the price part, of my last post, tongue was firmly in cheek. By and large, I am surprised at at how inexpensive most of the work their is. It's important to keep customers happy after they have purchased a product. I am surprised that some of the techs aren't better informed. Garth, Trent, and Josh were all, very, well informed, but on two other occasions the techs said 1/8 dot or FCH, that's it. Seems like Tim and Gabe had a similar experience. Leupold ends up turning away potential customers, as well as pointing us towards other brand scopes that might give us what we want. I really love my Leupold scopes and was happy to pass on this info, so that others can, perhaps, be equally pleased. Charles

Thank you Charles!

Thats really helpfull. I haven´t spoken with the guys here in europe yet, but having a part # will for sure help.

Peter

Charles thanks for the good info on the Leupold scopes, and for getting across with the right people at Leupold. I will be sending them one of my scopes. If i like the small dot they will have one more going ther way.

Back