Thread: Question- Rest Recess

Question- Rest Recess

New guy here. On Stocky's Ideal Benchrest Stock Remington 70 SA or LA - 3" Forend there is a "Rest Recess" cut on the underside.

What is that recess for exactly? They said it was for certain rests. Does anyone have any knowledge of which rests, or opinion on the benefit or lack of for this design?

Quote Originally Posted by GG224 View Post
    New guy here. On Stocky's Ideal Benchrest Stock Remington 70 SA or LA - 3" Forend there is a "Rest Recess" cut on the underside.

What is that recess for exactly? They said it was for certain rests. Does anyone have any knowledge of which rests, or opinion on the benefit or lack of for this design?
    Be careful. Depending upon the rules for the discipline you plan to shoot, a stock can not be concave on the bottom. Specifically, IBS short range book states the forearm can be no wider than 3" and must be flat or convex.

Long range is different as are rules for different shooting sanctioning bodies and/or disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Be careful. Depending upon the rules for the discipline you plan to shoot, a stock can not be concave on the bottom. Specifically, IBS short range book states the forearm can be no wider than 3" and must be flat or convex.

Long range is different as are rules for different shooting sanctioning bodies and/or disciplines.
    Appreciate the info. My plan for my next build is for 600-1000 yard shooting.

I was just curious about the recess in this particular stock. Stocky's wasn't very helpful with that.

Is that a recess for a picatinny rail?

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Is that a recess for a picatinny rail?
    I looks too big for that and it is rounded on the back end and opens straight across the front end.

I've seen some stocks with narrow Weaver type or Picatinny rails attached, just never a channel like this one. They said they cannot order it without it.

Quote Originally Posted by GG224 View Post

The reasoning for it is that a flat or convex stock is more likely to rock back and forth. The stock I think you're referring to has the area in the middle machined away so that the stock rides on the outer "rails". Not a bad thing where allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    The reasoning for it is that a flat or convex stock is more likely to rock back and forth. The stock I think you're referring to has the area in the middle machined away so that the stock rides on the outer "rails". Not a bad thing where allowed.
    Thanks!